DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > How would I replace ceiling tiles with drywall on a ceiling that has no studs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 AM  
weedelf

Default How would I replace ceiling tiles with drywall on a ceiling that has no studs?

The ceiling I want to replace has tiles and I want drywall instead. The only problem is, there's no stud's up there above the tiles, it's just insulation. If I were to strip the tiles and frame, the insulation would probably all fall out.

Here's an example I found of what ceiling tiles I'm talking about:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSg2p_CbFOha8WDa128h7Ftu18a2K9R_ qSZmuHO-fAkbqcIlsA1

Would I need studs? I'm assuming a big yes, if so, how would I add them? It's a 1 story house and I'm not sure how, or if I even CAN nail some studs to the ceiling so I can hang and nail in some drywall. I don't have access to areas up there either, it's pretty much the attic/roof and whoever added this part didn't really think thing's through too well when they added it.

It's a corner of the house room, there's wood/studs that surround the ceiling walls on all 4 sides, but I'm not sure how I would attached some studs to them other than just hanging them there...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 796 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 1359

You are talking about a drop ceiling. You would remove the hanging ceiling and replace the perimiter with 2x6, 3 nails in each stud. install joist hangers 24" on center and drop in 2x6 joists. If the area above is more than 100 sq. ft. You will need and access hole the hole is 22.5"x 28".
Poly the underside of the joists with 6mil poly seal all joints and drywall ,leave 1/2 " lip around access hole for a piece of drywall to sit on. Your ready for insulation.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is this a flat roof house? That's the only way I can see a single story house not having rafters for the ceiling.
What's the tiles hanging from?
Are these 12 X 12" tiles, or 2' X 2' or even 2' X 4'?

Quick Reply