DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > I wanted to put new drywall on my bedroom walls but now I might have a problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 10:25 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's actually pretty good progress, especially for a first timer!
Glad to hear that you're still making progress. You have taken on a pretty big job for one person. Don't get discouraged now. I have actually learned a lot about what works and what doesn't work by doing demo and paying attention to what I find. It's kind of like doing an autopsy of a home when you open up the walls and look at what's inside there.. interesting.. or not lol

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 02:14 AM  
RipTheJacker

Thanks for the kind words Square Eye. The wall I removed today was an exterior wall and it didn't even have insulation!! Now I expected this because I read this is just how they did things back then. So when I do put insulation do you think it'll make my room a lot warmer in the winter? Because winter sucks when you have a penny squeezing parent who doesn't let you touch the thermostat.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:40 PM  
RipTheJacker

I took down practically all the drywall and lath and plaster except for the area around my fuse box which happens to be in my room. What should I do about that? Also how do you know when studs need to be replaced? My studs change in color. From light brown which are probably new to dark brown. Is it easy to do and how do you do it?

What Should I do?

Last edited by RipTheJacker; 10-17-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:19 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default Well

You could get an electrician.
This is most likely a sub-panel, and can be shut off at the main panel to work around it. But if you have no experience with electrical, get someone who does.
The stud color is fine, as long as it is not deteriorated, it can be purple with no issues.
This will be a tricky spot and you will need to secure it as soon as possible when you remove the old plaster.
Don't worry, your going to be OK. Just a small, but unsafe hurdle.

Just My
Made in the

Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 PM  
RipTheJacker

Do you know what's holding the fuse box in mid air? Also I'm pretty sure this is the only panel in the box and it controls the lights in every room so is this the main panel? I don't know where the main one could be in this house if this isn't it. So what do I do? Leave it alone? Would a electrician be willing to remove the lath and plaster around it when he comes. I don't know if that's part of his job.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:50 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Hmmm

Do you have a basement or somewhere the wires come into the house?
If you know nothing about electrical, get an electrician or someone else you know who is knowledgeable about a fuse box.
You need to shut off the power around the box, then remove the plaster yourself. The box will be screwed to the studs(hopefully) and you will only need to remove the front cover. Then put a piece of sheetrock around the panel and turn the power back on.

It is not hard to do, just not safe if you do not know what to do.
It will take someone with experience about 30 minutes to complete this part of the job. Just continue on with other demo and figuring out what will be next besides this.
I see wire lath in the corner, having fun yet?
This stuff is nasty, wear good gloves.
Just start asking around your neighbors or Friends.

Just My
Made in the

Old 10-17-2008, 05:59 PM  
RipTheJacker

Quote:
I see wire lath in the corner, having fun yet?
LOL. That literally made me laugh out loud. It was annoying removing that until I got annoyed and just yanked it out in one piece. I got some cuts on my arms now though. Do studs have to have the exact same depth(is that the right word?) Some come out of the wall a little more than others. not much just centimeters.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:09 PM  
RipTheJacker

Have another question.
Here's a picture of my floor.

This is taken near where the floor meets the lath and stud. Once I remove this piece of a lath there will be a sizable gap. This lath is obstructing how I plan to hang my dry wall. I was thinking just buying the thickest drywall and then putting framing where the floor meets the wall(sorry don't know the exact term) which would hopefully cover the gap. I'm going to sand and finish my floor too. I can't wait to do that. It'll be effortless compared to what I'm doing now and it'll beautify the floor.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:05 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Yup

The gap will go away with adding some of the old wood lath you saved to the stud or some other pieces of wood. You can add some to each stud to fir it out to about a half inch to the floor. You will also be installing baseboard trim which will cover 3/4 and a small base shoe molding will add to the cover if you need it. Shoe molding is a small trim added at the floor and baseboard connection.

Looks like balloon framing you have there, just make sure you cannot see through to the basement. Buy some fire caulk and seal any openings , for larger openings use a scrap piece of wood screwed in with additional firecaulk to fill the gaps.

Keep up the good job.

Just My
Made in the

Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 AM  
RipTheJacker

Had a contractor come by and look at my room because I could tell some studs need to be sistered. He said he'd do the whole room with drywall insulation and install new windows for 1000 dollars minus the materials. I don't know If I'm going to have him do it yet.

Quick Reply