DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > OSB walls help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 11:05 AM  
Riverscape

Default OSB walls help!

We are remodeling a cabin and have put up all new walls entirely of OSB. We have already paneled the living room, but are looking for some other techniques or ideas or recommendations for paint for the rest of the house. I have already given all the walls a few coats of a base coat but you can still see the texture. I was thinking about trying a ragging technique, but am not sure if it will work.....any ideas?? I don't want to keep painting forever

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2007, 08:49 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Default Yikes...

If you installed exterior grade OSB plywood on the interior....that is fine.
It is when you try to paint it or stain it you have the problem. OSB has a factory applied coating like wax that needs to be removed before any coatings are applied.
I know it was the cheapest plywood you could find...however....

Try saving some more time and paint...paneling or another inexpensive covering will work...unless you like the look you have now I would stop.

Hope it turns out better for you.

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-03-2007, 09:38 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverscape View Post
We are remodeling a cabin and have put up all new walls entirely of OSB. We have already paneled the living room, but are looking for some other techniques or ideas or recommendations for paint for the rest of the house. I have already given all the walls a few coats of a base coat but you can still see the texture. I was thinking about trying a ragging technique, but am not sure if it will work.....any ideas?? I don't want to keep painting forever
It sounds like you put the smooth side in, Is that right??

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 02-03-2007, 05:48 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Riverscape:
Welcome to the Fourm. I have an alternative finish idea for you. Use a block-filler primer with a long-nap roller to cover the texture then you can use any latex paint to finish. The block filler is really a thick paint designed to fill the holes in cinder blocks and make them smooth for painting and it will work the same on your OSB.
Glenn

Old 02-04-2007, 09:06 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Hey Riverscape:
Welcome to the Fourm. I have an alternative finish idea for you. Use a block-filler primer with a long-nap roller to cover the texture then you can use any latex paint to finish. The block filler is really a thick paint designed to fill the holes in cinder blocks and make them smooth for painting and it will work the same on your OSB.
Glenn
Took the words right out of my mouth.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm with InspectorD, Be careful about painting OSB. One side maybe both sides have a coating intended to protect the material from moisture. Paint can blister off of the protected side and on unprotected OSB, the material can blister and flake off, the edges can turn and raise off of the surface.
OSB can be painted, but I use a primer first, then a scraper to remove the loose pieces, sand it then prime it again. Then you can use block filler or whatever you want without worrying about flaking and blistering.

OR

Scrape and sand the loose first and use an oil base primer and let it dry for a day or 2. Then paint.
I have a wide exterior door made of OSB on my shop that I primed with an oil base primer 4 years ago and haven't had any flaking yet.

I really need to paint it with a finish coat

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Quick Reply