DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Repairing exterior wall plugs after insulation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 03:23 PM  
Brinybay

Default Repairing exterior wall plugs after insulation.

We recently had blow-in insulation installed in our walls from the exterior. They drilled 2-inch holes and after blowing in the insulation, plugged them with wooden plugs and plastered them over. I understood that it's my responsibility to sand the plugs and repaint them.

My question is the best way to do this. How much sanding is needed, and what type of sandpaper should I use? Some of the siding planks looked like they were cracked in the process, should those be replaced, or are they ok? The house is double-sided, so there's another layer of siding underneath. Also, the plaster in one of the plugs is still soft to the touch after almost a week, should that be a concern?

dsc04202.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 05:28 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default Ok

My opinion,
Those pieces of siding should have been removed, and then the holes drilled through the sheathing boards underneath. This is not, the usual install.
What you need to do now, is to slide a piece of metal flashing under the holes in the siding from underneath, then you can put some filler in to seal the holes, or cut those plugs down to a thinner size.Those plugs they put in work, but only when they are installed in the holes under the siding.
Hope this makes sense,
Sorry you got a sub par job,Good luck

Just My
Made in the

Old 11-23-2013, 03:34 AM  
Brinybay

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
My opinion,
Those pieces of siding should have been removed, and then the holes drilled through the sheathing boards underneath. This is not, the usual install.
What you need to do now, is to slide a piece of metal flashing under the holes in the siding from underneath, then you can put some filler in to seal the holes, or cut those plugs down to a thinner size.Those plugs they put in work, but only when they are installed in the holes under the siding.
Hope this makes sense,
Sorry you got a sub par job,Good luck
Hmm, quotes from 2 insulation companies (both of otherwise good reput) indicated they were going to drill through both layers of siding. I made it clear there were 2 layers, the original siding and the current siding that was installed over it (long before we owned the house).

I'm not much of a handyman, so I'm wondering how difficult it is to do the fix you mentioned. I would rather hire somebody who knows what they're doing and have it done right rather than risk screwing it up and getting frustrated. We had our bathroom remodeled just last August, I could ask the contractor to come give me a bid on fixing this.

Last edited by Brinybay; 11-23-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:44 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default well

Just because they say they are reputable...doesn't fix your future wet insulation you paid good money for.
A good idea would be to contact a real contractor that does siding repairs like the ones I suggested.
I just see so many installs done wrong to start...it's hard to keep up somedays.

Just My
Made in the

Old 11-24-2013, 11:19 AM  
Brinybay

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Just because they say they are reputable...doesn't fix your future wet insulation you paid good money for.
A good idea would be to contact a real contractor that does siding repairs like the ones I suggested.
I just see so many installs done wrong to start...it's hard to keep up somedays.
They had good grades on Angie's List, so now I question that source. I've found a contractor who does siding, I'll run it by him.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:49 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I'm in the roofing business and it's surprising, some of the local contractors that get good reviews from Angie's list and even the better business bureau are the ones who have troublemaker paying their bills at the supply house and have a multitude of problems with workmanship issues. I always suggest to customers to check references with installations and also call the supply house where they get material and see how they pay their bills.

Just my

Old 11-24-2013, 04:35 PM  
Drywallinfo

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would use a random orbit sander, like the one made by Makita - see pic at http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...pL._SX425_.jpg
I had a bunch of repairs on hardboard siding when I had to retrofit in some old with new. I used a sandable water-based exterior wood filler as well to fill in any grooves or cracks and sanded level with this type of sander. Then I primed with an oil based exterior primer and painted with exterior latex. Looks like you will have to do a bunch more filling to get this surface level - better get an extra large container of wood filler.

- Taping & Finishing Drywall Joints
- Inside & Outside Corner Drywall Joints
- How to Repair Small and Big Holes
- How to Build and Finish Drywall Arches
- How to Apply or Repair Texture
Free Tutorials at http://www.drywallinfo.com

Last edited by Drywallinfo; 11-24-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:29 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

Siding hardly ever stops all the water from getting in, the house wrap or tar paper are there as a secondery water stop and in this case with another siding behind there was three items to stop the water. Now that he has drilled thru all layers of protection, any water getting in this area will have no trouble finding it's way into the structure. As was mentioned this peice of siding should just be replaced and it should have been removed in the first place.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:07 AM  
Brinybay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywallinfo View Post
I would use a random orbit sander, like the one made by Makita - see pic at http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...pL._SX425_.jpg
I had a bunch of repairs on hardboard siding when I had to retrofit in some old with new. I used a sandable water-based exterior wood filler as well to fill in any grooves or cracks and sanded level with this type of sander. Then I primed with an oil based exterior primer and painted with exterior latex. Looks like you will have to do a bunch more filling to get this surface level - better get an extra large container of wood filler.
The boards that are cracked like the one in the picture I may just have replaced, there's only a couple of them that are like that. Maybe Santa will bring me an orbit sander.

Last edited by Brinybay; 11-25-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 353 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I agree with what Drywallinfo suggests and I bought a (mouse sander) a couple years ago and really love it for this kind of work also. It’s more aggressive than I thought it would be. You might want to check them out also on your Xmas list. The nose lets you work in corners pretty well.

Both types are nice tools and maybe one of each this year with the money you will save doing it DIY.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10779765?w...ctedSellerId=3

Quick Reply