DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Repairing exterior wall plugs after insulation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM  
Brinybay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Siding hardly ever stops all the water from getting in, the house wrap or tar paper are there as a secondery water stop and in this case with another siding behind there was three items to stop the water. Now that he has drilled thru all layers of protection, any water getting in this area will have no trouble finding it's way into the structure. As was mentioned this peice of siding should just be replaced and it should have been removed in the first place.
Ok, that helps. I did a walk-around this morning, there are more than just a couple of them that look like that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM  
nealtw

Liked 682 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

In you photo the plug is just below a joint in the board above, so you know water will get in there. It appears that they drilled in the middle of the stud bay, I would have thought the holes would be at the top near the next floor or ceiling.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:31 AM  
Brinybay

Quote:
In you photo the plug is just below a joint in the board above, so you know water will get in there. It appears that they drilled in the middle of the stud bay, I would have thought the holes would be at the top near the next floor or ceiling.
I wondered about that too. I think it had something to do with a cold air return being at that spot inside the house. First thing the lead guy asked was where the cold air returns were along the outside wall.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:11 AM  
nealtw

A better way is to just call it return air as it is still warm when it returns, he should have strongly suggested moving the return before insulation was installed.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 AM  
Brinybay

Quote:
A better way is to just call it return air as it is still warm when it returns, he should have strongly suggested moving the return before insulation was installed.
Doesn't answer my original question, nor does it make any sense. Do some major restructuring of duct work (with all the expense and hassle that involves), just to install some insulation? And where would you move it? It's not a piece of furniture that can be pushed aside.

I've already got the info I need on sanding and repainting the plugs (but it wasn't from here). Siding has been repaired properly.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 AM  
nealtw

Air, conditioned or return should never be against the outside wall and was put there because it was the best the guy could likely find and yes moving it would likely be a real pain in the ,,,
and maybe can't be done. Glad to here you have solved the problem with the siding. If you did it in a way that wasn't suggested here maybe you could educate us a little.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:11 PM  
GBR

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinybay View Post
We recently had blow-in insulation installed in our walls from the exterior. They drilled 2-inch holes and after blowing in the insulation, plugged them with wooden plugs and plastered them over. I understood that it's my responsibility to sand the plugs and repaint them.

My question is the best way to do this. How much sanding is needed, and what type of sandpaper should I use? Some of the siding planks looked like they were cracked in the process, should those be replaced, or are they ok? The house is double-sided, so there's another layer of siding underneath. Also, the plaster in one of the plugs is still soft to the touch after almost a week, should that be a concern?
They should have been back-charged for splitting the board, they require replacement. The siding should have been removed and drill through second siding, as said, no excuse. The patch appears to be caulking- impossible to sand, should have remove board. Wood cedar lap siding does not repair due to looks. (Hack job). Sandpaper will gum up and repair will always be noticeable. Replace them all, back charge them if not paid in full. It is not dry due to excessive thickness, you can even see where the drill caught and removed a wood chunk which they caulked between the two left holes.

One hole at the top or two holes, or one at bottom (if they want to save time with ladder) is normal, under the siding; http://www.karg.com/pdf/Presentations/Dense_Pack_Cellulose_Insulation.pdf

That is- IF they dense-packed it, not with a box store blower; http://www.karg.com/pdf/Insulaton_density/Dense_packing_Allwein_and_Biddle.pdf

Sorry you got taken. Welcome to the forums, neighbor!

Gary
PS. Made #4; http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/published-articles/pa-built-wrong-from-start

Last edited by GBR; 01-07-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Quick Reply