DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Walls and Ceilings (
-   -   Repairing hole in wall (

emjeeman 08-07-2012 12:30 PM

Repairing hole in wall
Hi. As the title says, I have a problem with a wall hole. It's actually relatively big; about 12 cm by 6 cm. Here's a photo I took:

I would like to repair this hole. I understand that it involes drywall compound, possibly gypsum panel. But that's as far as I know. I'm totally unfamiliar with this, so I would really appreciate if someone can help me out on this.


nealtw 08-07-2012 05:20 PM

emjeeman 08-07-2012 07:16 PM

Thanks for the video link. A question or two. For my case, there's no vapor barrier. But there is some padding (the white stuff seen within the hole in my pic) hanging loose. Is that part of the drywall to remove, or should I leave that there?


nealtw 08-07-2012 07:24 PM

Drywall is white chalky material about 1/2" thick with paper on each side. Feel inside the wall to see how far the break is.

emjeeman 08-08-2012 09:56 AM

The break feels thicker than 1/2"; closer to an inch. It goes as far as breaking and loosening that white material I mentioned. For what it's worth, the break/hole is located on a thin wall. Here's what I mean:

So, the break is far enough, that I can feel the other end of that rectangular wall structure (which is part of a closet). I don't know if that changes the method needed to repair it.

nealtw 08-08-2012 10:50 AM

I can't see enough detail in the photo.:)

emjeeman 08-08-2012 11:23 AM

Oh, heh. In that second picture, the brighter white rectangular portion (mid-left) is the small face of the rectangular wall. Imagine a rectangular prism; it has 2 big faces and 4 thin faces. That white rectangle is a thin face. At the very left is the closet sliding door. So the break is on one of the 2 big faces; the other big face (other side) of the wall is in the closet.

Know what I mean?

nealtw 08-08-2012 12:01 PM

Sorry; Can't make out enough to comment on. How about you break off a piece and take it outside where you can get better light for a photo so we can see the product.

emjeeman 08-08-2012 01:14 PM

Ok, I will respond in a bit with another photo.

CallMeVilla 08-11-2012 10:13 AM

Layout a square opening using a level. Cut the drywall out. Lay a piece flat and measure the width. You can get broken pieces of drywall at HD for <$5.00. The fluffy stuff is insulation and my guess is this is an interior wall, so there is no vapor barrier.

The video is a bit peculiar in places but does provide basic processes. I like to add a dash of water (not much) to my mud to make it smoother.

This ain't rocket science, so go for it and have fun!

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 PM.