DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Tackling My First Popcorn/stucco Ceilings Over Plaster.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 AM  
Bster13

Likes Given: 1

Default Tackling My First Popcorn/stucco Ceilings Over Plaster.....

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new to this game (have painted mostly as well as put up drywall on walls in new construction as well as small repairs). I'm tackling my first set of popcorn/stucco over plaster ceilings in a one story ranch built in the 1950s. Here are the pics I took initially w/ measurements:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8970927@N04/

Underneath all that goodness is plaster ceilings with hairline cracks everywhere.

Options (I think) to address this after stripping down to the plaster:

1) Skim coat. (NOT RECOMMENDED. It'd be fast but the cracks in the underlying plaster will just come through the skim coat eventually and I'll have to go back and repeatedly fix it.)

2) Use wide mesh tape and then skim coat over. This will give a buffer between the cracked plaster and the new skim coat so the cracks won't come back.

3) Don't completely remove popcorn/stucco ceilings, but just knock them down a bit then screw drywall ( 1/2" or 5/8” thick) into ceiling joists, then tape and mud.

I haven't priced out the drywall yet or jacks but I may just make my own deadmans, but here are my questions:

- Which repair will last the longest?

- What type of repair will take the longest to complete? (hanging drywall vs. scraping/sanding popcorn/stucco)

- Are there any "gotchas" I am not thinking of?

Many thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 07:16 PM  
nealtw

Liked 687 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Clean out the cracks and taping will work but if the ceiling has been paint no 3 might be better, but you have to watch how much weight you are adding, best check size and length of ceiling joists. If undersized like meny are you may want to pull down and start over.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 PM  
Underdog

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have successfully defeated spider cracks on plaster by using liner paper. Since it will be painted over, I suggest using a vinyl over vinyl additive to the water as liner papers are mostly pre-pasted. This will give a secure bond. Let it cure a few days. If you feel insecure, primer with an oil base paint. This will reveal any remaining flaws. I've done this on houses for repeat customers over a decade ago and the walls and ceilings are still pristine. The liner paper just becomes the new surface. It definitely gets rid of the hairline cracks.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 PM  
Bster13

I'm feeling more comfy with leaving stripping the popcorn from directly below the plaster, then nailing furring strips to the ceilings joist, then hanging 1/2in drywall to the furring strips, tape & mud, sand, primer & paint. Any objections to that plan of attack or things I should watching out for?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM  
Bster13

Actually another question I have is about about recessed lighting.

I purchased 5 of these:

"Halo 4 in. LED New Construction Recessed Lighting Housing"

And 5 of these:

"EcoSmart 4 in. 9.5-Watt (65W) LED Downlight"

The plan is to cut out a wide berth in the plaster, in the general area where I am putting the recessed cans. Mount the cans flush with the bottom of the joists, then put up the drywall (mounting to furring strips attached to the plaster under the joists).

My worry about this scenario is with the extra depth of the plaster/furring/drywall that the somewhat adjustable can (mounted flush with the bottom of the ceiling joist) won't be able to extend down enough to mount the LED bulb w/ integrated lip over the drywall, low enough.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 PM  
Underdog

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
I'm feeling more comfy with leaving stripping the popcorn from directly below the plaster, then nailing furring strips to the ceilings joist, then hanging 1/2in drywall to the furring strips, tape & mud, sand, primer & paint. Any objections to that plan of attack or things I should watching out for?
It would be brand new, brand new is good.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 PM  
nealtw

My only question is the strength of the structure. Can each ceiling joists handle another 85 pounds without sagging.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM  
Bster13

That is a question of mine as well... they are 2 x 10s, 16 on center I believe. A buddy says it's not like the ceilings joists are carrying the weight of people walking on them, they'll be fine. Another friend says "use thin drywall, you don't want the weight of the plaster plus the popcorn/stucco and then the drywall to weigh things down too much" Hrmmm....

Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM  
Underdog

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Maybe brand new is not so good, paperhanger out since I'm not a structure guy.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:34 PM  
nealtw

2x10s sound substancial but you would want to check the span tables for the weight they can carry depending on how long they are.
1/2" drywall is about 55lbs per sheet. The plaster is anybodies guess. you would have to remove a square ft and weight it.

Quick Reply