DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > which type of cornerbead?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 01:25 PM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

okay - not reading Nestor or Taper guy, sorry if I repeat.

I prefer the metal corner bead. My opinion is it is the strongest. It doesn't require anything special to install it. just use drywall screws.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 05:38 PM  
taperguy71

Default Cornerbead-final thoughts

Hello Nestor, Actually it's been kindof entertaining debating cornerbead ins and outs. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It seems your biggest hangup about metal is the dent removal problem so let me reiterate the best ways to do so. I suggested tin snips mainly because this is geared toward homeowners and the tools they have available. For smaller dents I like I said tap it from the outer edge of the dent til it is straight then recoat it. For significant damage you have to remove the damaged area and install a splice piece. To cut through the bead above the damage for removal there are many different methods. Tin snips do work and the ones I use personally aren't as big as the ones you have pictured but do flare the corners when the cut is made you simply fasten them back down and add a splice where the damage was making sure it is straight with a level. But I prefer to make the cut with either a small cordless metal saw or a hacksaw. And I think everyone owns stapler or at least should. Also I prefer staples for fastening mainly because screws tend to warp the bead and don't stay as flush to the drywall making coating more difficult.

Last edited by taperguy71; 09-17-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply