DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Walls & ceiling problems & advices

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

OK they say a picture's worth a thousand words.... The wires are not attached to the framing but to the bricks by anchors. My guess is that the anchors are becoming lose (just enough to move within the brick material) and cause friction noise.

Then if its whats going on, I fear the bracket one day let go and either cause a fire, a power outage, or worst, kill someone standing nearby.. There are kids all over the place here playing in the backyard.. That wouldnt be good at all.

I failed to mention that we have been having rather strong winds in the last few days.. Nevertheless, I think this shouldnt be heard.

2012-04-23_15-58-47_859.jpg   2012-04-23_15-59-30_230.jpg   2012-04-23_16-17-22_618.jpg   2012-04-23_16-17-42_843.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM  
nealtw

Liked 646 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 1154

If anything had come loose there, you would be able to see it in the picture. Don't let your immagination get away on you.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Are those cable wires hanging down over the gutters and sticking into the walls?
I can see where the wind blowing them around on those gutters could have the noise be transfured though the soffits.
That was one lazy guy who installed them that way. They should have been attached to the walls at least.
Other then all those power lines looking like a rats nest the brackets look fine in the pictures.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:28 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

For whatever reasons, I was not notified as supposed by this forum of your reply of 04-24-2012.... Sorry for answering that late! Ive asked the neighbor (who installed the small cable wire hanging from the upper balcony) to tighten it up or somehow attach it firmly to the building. We'll see if that helps.

Coming back to the original topic of this thread (walls & ceilings), I managed to repair the damaged drywall tape on my own... LOTS of work, but Ive learned a great deal and now I feel comfident to do the same type of repair elsewhere (if need be!!). Since the person previously living here was smoking, I needed to hide the nicotine smell from the walls. I washed the walls & ceilings, rinsed them twice, and once very dried, I primed with Zinsser BIN.

I must admit, this is a tough paint to use.. It dries in a matter of minutes (not completely but enough to settle), and I am not sure what happened, but I got a weird finish on the ceiling. See attached pictures of the job. I think this is because there is different thickness of paint all over the place. Nevertheless, it feels smooth and there are no paint bumps or roll ridges. Should I put a second coat? Am I ready to paint? Obviously, a second coat would uniformize the finish (maybe?) but do I really need to apply a second coat?

What do you guys think?

img_0600.jpg   img_0602.jpg  

Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 AM  
joecaption

Looks like you may not have had paint all the way around the roller cover while rolling.
On the ceiling it looks to be like you only rolled in one direction so it left rows.

Last edited by joecaption; 07-06-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:25 AM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I had lots of paint on the roll and carefully try not to apply too much pressure as i rolled... I indeed rolled only in one direction, back & forth. Should I apply a second coat from left to right?

What problems can I have if I paint right on top of that? Im probably going to use Benjamin Moore regal paint which is a very thick paint ..

First time painting with an extension pole, on a ceiling and with zinsser BIN....

Old 07-11-2012, 06:56 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So I am going to proceed with painting the ceiling and walls within the next few days or so.. And before I go ahead, I'd like to ask a few questions if anybody cares to help me!

First of all, should I apply a second coat of primer or leave it as is? Right now, you can see rows but its mainly in the small angled wall and the ceiling... The other walls are looking fine to me (as far as a primer can look good..)

Second question, probably the most important: how should I proceed with painting the room? OK I am comfortable painting walls, but a ceiling, not so much. Should I start first by painting the ceiling so any dripping, or drops on the walls dont affect the job too much? Also for the ceiling, should I start by brushing a fine edge in the corners and then roll them?

Every body have their techniques but I am sure yours are better than mine so looking forward to hearing what you can suggest!

Cheers!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 PM  
joecaption

If it was mine I would go over it with a second coat.
Reason being it will be to late to go back and fix it once the paint goes on.

All ways the cutting in around the ceiling first. Try to bring the paint out at least 4" so you do not keep hitting the wall with the roller.

I would then paint any trim, once dry cut in around all the trim and the inside corners and the ceiling.
Latex drys really fast so I found it works best to do the cut in then go right back over it with a second coat that way there's no areas that look lighter.
Now your ready for paint.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:35 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

MMM ok.. The ceiling turned out well, but some walls did not. I am unsure about what Ive done wrong. When the paint was almost dry, I noticed a series of vertical bands (about same width) running all over the place. Glossy - dull - glossy - dull..... Here's my technique in a nutshell:

I dip the roll in the tray, roll about 6 to 8 times to spread the paint around the roll evenly, then I start painting. I paint this way:

1- I touch the wall, and start rolling up and down about 30% of the wall height.
2- I roll up & down about 60% of the wall,
3- I roll the whole height of the wall. By that time, the paint is nice and uniform.
Then..
4- I gently roll over the edge where I was coming from to ensure uniformity the paint and avoid a lap mark.
5- I also gently roll over the other edge (where I am going) to smooth the line out and ensure no future lap mark,

Then I dip again and move on...

Here the result (see attached picture). First time I have this happening to me... Usually, I must admit I am not very technical about painting, as I go with the flow.. It usually gives good results, but with this structured technique, I got crap..

I am confused because usually, this will happen IF I roll over a surface that is half dried, producing what I call a sandpaper finish.. In my case, I dont see any difference in surface finish, and the paint does not appear to be rougher in these areas..

Also its the second coat.. The first one was WAYYY better. Damn it. Can I give a 3rd coat?

Many thanks!!

0003.jpg  

Last edited by condoowner; 07-21-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:40 PM  
nealtw

Liked 646 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 1154

Go read what the painters dealing with.

http://www.painttalk.com/f6/roller-marks-7271/

Quick Reply