DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Walls & ceiling problems & advices

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 03:49 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thanks nealtw for your pointer.. I will try to redo this wall during the weekend and post back on my findings!

I however believe this has something to do with :

a) applying the paint when the room temperature was around 30C (which is a NO go!)
b) back rolling in different directions.. Should be always up or down but always the same...

Like I said, I will retry with cooler room and brush in the same direction..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 03:09 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I am wondering if you guys would be able to comment on this problem (yet another one!) I am having with installing a stupid ceiling fan to a cathedral sloped ceiling...

I have removed the old electric box and discovered (unless I am wrong) that there are NO studs running on this ceiling... I am wondering simply if it is customary or the builder simply screwed up again...

see attached picture .. This is what I can feel putting my hand (and arm) thru the opening for the electric box in the drywall.. All I can say is the electric box was screwed to the 3/4" boards and was wired with 3 wires (black/red/white & ground) and the red was capped of with a wire nut indicating ceiling fan usage.. Feeling on the same orientation as the 3/4" boards shown on the picture below, I cant find 2x4's... The way I see it, it is just 3/4" boards running from wall to wall with drywall screwed onto them... I think this must be impossible the ceiling would collapse?

Can anybody enlighten me????

Without real studs, I cant install this fan. They recommend minimum 35# which I fear I cant get with the 3/4" boards....

untitled.jpg  

Old 08-04-2012, 04:34 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 348 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Your pic suggested the "pink" is insulation. If it is then I have a solution. You will need a real box for a fan. You could sister a 2x4 onto the 3/4" furring that is already in the ceiling by pushing the 2x4 above it -- yes, this will compress the insulation. Fasten the 2x4 by shooting screws (2 1/2" or 3") through the ceiling drywall, the 3/4" furring and the 2x4. The two pieces of 2x4 should be at least 12"-14" long.

Now, you have a solid edge where you can screw the fan box with screws through the sides. Obviously, you need to fish the wires through the boc and make sure you have a wire connector that prevents sharp metal from cutting into the wires.

Follow the fan's installation directions as to wiring and mounting. Since the ceiling is slanted, you will need to let the mast hang freely to orient the fan properly.

Someone else might have another idea . . . This is what popped int my mind.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You have two choices.
Use a hole saw to make a new hole where the boards are that are attaching the sheetrock to the joist and install a pancake box directly to the board.
http://www.drillspot.com/products/112172/Raco_293_Round_Pancake_Box

Or install a box like this. It can be installed from below the ceiling.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ceiling+fan+box&view=detail&id=92DEFB2DF1 5C63EC2885E2CDC4C188079F909903&first=1

Last edited by joecaption; 08-05-2012 at 06:25 AM.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 AM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hi guys! Thanks for replying... this house is driving me crazy.. not in a good way.. nothing was built for upgrades or modifications..

Unfortunately the ceiling was freshly painted a few days ago so cutting and reworking is out of question.

I am thinking of hiring a contractor to look at the issue and I am thinking the easiest way will be to install a 2x4 from within the attic ..

Really I can't believe there wouldn't be any structural members on that ceiling.. 20ft wide by 25ft long at 30deggrees.. just 3/4" furring holding up the drywall?? There will be a lawsuit coming up if its the case..

Old 08-05-2012, 03:29 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 727 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

What you are missing is your ceiling has rafters like you would expect and then for what ever reason they strapped below that and hung the drywall from the strapping. If you can get to this area from the attic, the fix would be quit simple.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 348 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Yes, Neal is correct . . . acces from the attic gives you a lot of options. BUT, I get the sense you do not actually have acces due to the 30 degree slope. Do you want to clarify or just get somebody on-site to fix the problem?

Old 08-05-2012, 03:51 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hi guys! I am not sure if I have access since the outlet box is roughly 8ft from the bottom of the ceiling .. at 30 degree, I fear the ceiling will collapse and ill end up 15 ft below....

Until I go in the attic I won't know for sure. Also I am thinking the roof could be pretty close to the ceiling and not leave much space to work with..

Ill post some pics as soon as possible ..

Thanks guys!!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:19 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

In the meantime please let me ask you this question:

I have applied a first coat of paint on a wall but I noticed 2 or 3 dull spot that for whatever reason appears to be patches with putty that were not (or improperly ) primed prior to painting.

Before I apply the second coat, what should I do to eliminate these spots clearly showing up as the paint sheen is different? ?

Sand, prime, then continue from there? Right now I have put a second coat with a 4" roller, it's better but the marks are still visible..

Last edited by condoowner; 08-05-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:41 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What are you using for a primer?
If it's Kilnz, there's your problum.
Use Zinzer 123.
It's a sealing primer and stain blocker.

Quick Reply