DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > wetness in wall under deck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM  
qmqmqm

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default wetness in wall under deck

Hi everyone

This picture is taken under the deck. (The bolt is where the deck is secured to the house.)

There is a gap between the siding (on the left) and the aluminium sheet (on the right.)

In the gap, looks like there is house wrap, and wood behind it. Today it rained, and the wood inside the gap is wet. Although I don't know exactly where the water comes from that caused the wetness... Directly from the gap, or somewhere else...

My question is: Should I seal the gap or cover it in anyway?

Thanks a lot.

Paul

2013-04-07-18.33.21.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 813 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

I would soon see a photo of the deck where it meets the house and what the flashing is there. If the deck is sheet vinyl over plywood the vinel should run up the wall for 6" behing the siding and under the door threshold. If you have open treated decking or something simular the flashing would be behind the siding and housewrap and on top of the timber bolted to the house.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply