DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > When to tear down wall for bump out/addition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 398 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Clearly, an open house in bad weather country can get "touchy." Some parts of N. Cal get a lot of rain but all I hear down here is "drought, drought, drought." FINE. That means we got a lot of clear days to rock 'n roll with no worries about rain filling the trenches or ruining the framing. Don't even have to tarp the structure !! WOO HOO!

A simple bump out is manageable as a DIY "IF" you already have some hand's on knowledge and experience. You might want to hire a helper (retired carpenter?) to guide you. Remember, you will need a lot of new tools ... where are they coming from? Precision is important ... can you measure twice and cut once? Can you develop a reasonable project timeline and get materials and help on-site as needed to keep things moving? Nail gun or screws? How high is the typical outlet? What is the proper framing for a wall, door, window and drywall corner?

OH MY ... so much to learn ... hope you have a strong marriage!

house.jpg  
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 PM  
Jennifer14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Hey, how'd you get that pic of my house?

All really good points you make, which is why we're researching and not deciding anything yet. Overwhelming! Marriage is strong but we don't usually argue with power tools in hand.

Leaning toward contractor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 11:44 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 860 Times on 768 Posts
Likes Given: 1486

So ask the questions like you were going to do it, so you will at least be able to talk to contractors and have some idea of what they are talking about.
The first step is to check with the city. Up here there are restrictions on little details like size of house and size of lot or distance to property lines. Location and size of septic systems if you have one. They count bedrooms as people and may require a bigger system.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 PM  
Jennifer14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thanks, Neal. That's exactly what I'll do. :-)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply