DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > Advice on buying electric stove/oven?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 11:26 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 789 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

You bring back lots of memmories on why I moved out at 19.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:54 AM  
zannej

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 337

LOL. My brother actually moved out before. The first time for college. He flunked out and moved back. Then he moved out to try to get a job but just mooched off of our sister but that didn't work out so he came back. He's flunked out of college about 3 times now...

He's the baby of the family so he got spoiled and now he has issues with being responsible. I still love him though. Despite the annoyances, I would miss him if he wasn't around.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014, 12:17 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 408 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
You bring back lots of memmories on why I moved out at 19.
I left at 19 too and never, ever thought about moving back, now my 23 y/o still loiving at home...well thats another story.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:24 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 789 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
I left at 19 too and never, ever thought about moving back, now my 23 y/o still loiving at home...well thats another story.
Sometimes they need a little help, like packing. My youngest granchild is 19 and the older ones are having kids I guess I can claim greatness
Old 08-25-2014, 08:15 AM  
zannej

I'm going to sound pathetic, but I'm almost 38 and I never moved out. LOL. We moved around a lot and when I turned 18 we were overseas and remained overseas until I was well into my 20s. When the government finally let us move back, my father had to go to another state and work there for a year before retiring but we had to get all of our stuff from storage moved back into our house down here and have most of our belongings that were shipped from Guam sent over here. My mother never lived on her own and my father wanted me to stay with her to help her out and make sure that she was safe. We didn't have dogs so I was pretty much the guard dog, sitting at the house waiting for thieves and going out with the rifle when they showed up to try to pilfer stuff. The dirtbag down the street would wait until he saw my mother's car leave and assume nobody was home and roll up and start looking around the yard for stuff to steal. He actually had the gall to come in when we were all home and when the movers were moving our stuff in and he tried to steal our prybar but I stopped him. So he realized he couldn't just come and get stuff when someone was watching. I scared him a few times by popping out and asking him WTF he was doing here.

Although I wish I had stayed home more because before I started doing that we changed the locks and when we weren't home he kicked our front door in and started pilfering. He even cut some of our phone jacks and stole them. We used to have our kitchen wired for a phone but he managed to completely dislodge the wire so even if we got the jack put back on, it wouldn't work. He also broke in to our workshop and went through ALL of the toolboxes-- didn't even bother to close them afterward. I had set something up with the door so I would know if someone went in there-- something would fall on the floor if a person opened the door, only he took the time to pick it up and put the object in a nearby chair. So I knew for certain someone had gone in there. Changed the locks on that thing so he couldn't open it without breaking the door (as it was, he broke the doorframe on our house).

Anyway, he was nasty to my mother and I often had to step in and mediate-- like when he was mad that she was demanding that he bring her desk back after he stole it and he was swearing at her and claiming he didn't take it. Then he finally "found" it and returned it.

I'll stop myself there because my list of grievances with that jackass is far too long.

So, my brother stayed with my father and did nothing while I was back with my mother. She cooked and I cleaned and we were getting along fine. My father retired and moved back with my brother and my mother started to do less stuff and I had to help my father fix the place up. Both of them started having health issues so I stuck around to drive them places. Also, my mother doesn't like to go places by herself very often so any time she went to the grocery store I had to go with her to carry her groceries for her.

Fast forward a decade and she barely gets out of bed so I have to do her laundry, get her food, get the groceries, feed the animals, fix stuff when it breaks, and try to clean up after my brother.

I sometimes wish that I'd tried moving out and seeing what it was like, but I wouldn't want to trade any of the time that I spent with my father while he was still alive. I talked to him about it before he died and he said he didn't want me to move out because he liked having me there with him-- even if he just wanted someone to sit next to him while he played on his computer. (Although he didn't want me to put my life on hold and did want me to go out and succeed in life, but at the same time he wanted me near him).

I really miss him....

And wow, that got so far off topic.... LOL.

I mentioned slide-in stoves to my mother and she whined that they are too expensive and that they cost like $300 more than freestanding. I wonder if they make freestanding ones without the backsplash that are not more expensive than the slide-ins.

Last edited by zannej; 08-25-2014 at 08:20 AM.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:19 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

We are the sum total of the decisions we made.

If I were you I'd start figuring out why you made those decisions, and eventually come to terms with your life as you lived it.

I'm starting a little bit late: depending on which mortality table I use I've only got between 11 and 18 years to figure this all out. If you are a 38 YO white male you've got about 39 years.

BTW, if you are 110 YO you've got one year and the data is unreliable because so few people live this long.

And give yourself a break: "the family is the factory where people are made" and some of us have very little choice about how our lives will go, see the book
"Scripts People Live."

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 08-26-2014 at 12:25 PM.
zannej Likes This 
Old 08-26-2014, 12:32 PM  
Jungle

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 31

True Induction cooker:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087OWY5A?psc=1

Has worked well for me, i think it is bit faster.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 PM  
Jungle

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 31

True Induction cooker:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087OWY5A?psc=1

Has worked well for me, i think it is bit faster.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:32 PM  
zannej

I forgot to mention that what I'm looking for is probably called a "range". It needs to have an oven and a stove on it.

Thank you for the replies.

Quick Reply