DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > Amana dishwasher won't drain

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 02:27 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

You can do
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%22dishwasher+won't+drain%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
but I'd ask,
What is a normal depth for water at the end of the cycle?, or
What is a normal volume of water at the end of the cycle?.

Regarding if the drain line is clear I guess you'd have to measure back pressure at some GPM but I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 11-10-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 PM  
cghill

Part of the reason I posted here was because I tried a lot of the things I found from a simple google search. The drain certainly didn't appear to be obstructed or clogged, I made sure the drain filter was clear, I don't use an air gap, I replaced the drain pump, etc.

As far as normal water depth, its a bit tough to judge since the bottom is all slanted down to the pump/drain at the bottom, but theres enough water that it reaches the shut-off float, though there isn't enough water to actually float the device.

The biggest problem is that the dishwasher attempts to rinse the dishes using the soapy and dirty water. As a result, my dishes are coming out cloudy. A simple workaround is that I run the dishwasher about halfway thru a normal cycle, til the washing should be done, then manually cancel and drain all the water, and then start another cycle with all clean water to rinse. Its annoying, but it works for the time being. However, I'd like to fix the dishwasher so it works properly.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:44 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghill View Post
my dishes are coming out cloudy.
There may be several possible causes for this symptom and some should be listed in your manual's troubleshooting section.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 11-11-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM  
cghill

I do recognize that there are many solutions to the problem of having cloudy dishes, however fixing that would simply be treating the symptom of the problem instead of the problem itself. The problem is that my dishwasher is failing to drain the water during and at the end of cycles, and thus soapy water is used to rinse the dishes, which leaves a residue on them. I would prefer to fix the problem of my water not draining instead of just fixing my cloudy dishes after each cycle.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 838 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Does thing have a check valve or backflow preventer that could be stuck open?

Quick Reply