DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > Can I wire this together.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 04:24 PM  
Phatboy

Default Can I wire this together.

I have an electric cooktop and a 30 inch wall oven. Would it be safe to wire these two appliances to the same 50amp double breaker? I dont have room in the breaker box to add another breaker. What would be safe? Both appliances are 220v.

(Quoted by InspectorD)''Those DIY TV shows have nothin compared to you.'' Woot!

Last edited by Phatboy; 10-31-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 01:36 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Logan:
I would check the amperage rating on each appliance, add them together and see if they exceed the 50a. If they do exceed, you will need to go another route.
Glenn

Old 11-03-2008, 04:41 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 92 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 59

And please make sure that the existing wires are of sufficient AWG. Sometimes corners are cut, conditions change, DIY'r w/o knowledge, etc.... You don't want to push the envelope on an improper installation.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:34 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Why not install an accessible sub-panel in your kitchen and split the circuit there?

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 11-03-2008, 10:11 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default not legal...

Panels are not legal in kitchens. I dont have my book handy to check on sharing a circuit, but if the name plate rating of both appliances does not exceed the size of your wire (we dont know the size of existing wire) and the maximum overcurrent rating of any one appliance is not less than the breaker size you could be alright. Maybe speedy might know if sharing is alright. I have taken many shared 50's out of kitchens and provided independent 30's for each appliance ( cooktop and wall oven) most of these old wiring practices date back into the 70's. Good luck. I hope I have been of help...

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Quick Reply