DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > Dryer taking forever to dry clothes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 09:28 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Cheesefood:
That was a good shot on the dryer vent. Now, the filter screen needs to be washed with Dawn (the grease cutter) to allow full air flow through it. Here's how you can prove it to yourself; take the screen to the sink and run a few drops on it, watch it bead up like water on a freshly waxed car. We know that where water won't penetrate, neither will air. Fabric softener is the culprit in this case; it leaves an oily film on the filter screen, especially if you use dryer sheets.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 10:20 AM  
cheesefood
Ask me bout homebrewtalk.

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to cheesefood

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Hey Cheesefood:
That was a good shot on the dryer vent. Now, the filter screen needs to be washed with Dawn (the grease cutter) to allow full air flow through it. Here's how you can prove it to yourself; take the screen to the sink and run a few drops on it, watch it bead up like water on a freshly waxed car. We know that where water won't penetrate, neither will air. Fabric softener is the culprit in this case; it leaves an oily film on the filter screen, especially if you use dryer sheets.
Glenn
Probably wouldn't hurt to do that once a month.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 AM  
bowanna03

I had the same problem did all that amd it still didn't work so i ordered a heater element off of ebay and installed it and now i have to change the thermostat also

Old 07-08-2008, 01:27 PM  
JModason

Default same problem!

I've had this problem for quite some time. I'm pretty lazy so obviously I've done nothing to fix it. Somebody told me it could be a bad heating element. What should I do to fix that if that's the case?

Jared Modason
[EMAIL="JModason@gmail.com"]JModason@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[url="http://www.ahswarranty.com"]Home Warranty Insurance[/url]

Old 07-08-2008, 02:36 PM  
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JModason View Post
I've had this problem for quite some time. I'm pretty lazy so obviously I've done nothing to fix it. Somebody told me it could be a bad heating element. What should I do to fix that if that's the case?
Heating elements vary by dryer, but they all have a coil of nickle/chrome wires. Depending on the dryer, you may have to open it up to access the heating element.

It is usually a pretty straightforward swap. Some elements are two pieces and you only need to replace one piece(the wire coil)

Old 12-10-2008, 11:35 AM  
fun to repair

Default plugges dryer vent

Keep in mind, a plugged vent can become a fire hazard. They should be cleaned periodically, it should be on the normal maintenance list.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:12 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Default Yup, this goes for everyone

Well everybody, I just returned back from training some fellow Inspectors.
One of the inspectors had the house across the street from him burn to the ground two nights ago when the temp was 15 degrees.
Turns out it was a dryer fire which started in the basement of a balloon framed house,(google it)and they lost everything because they did not check the dryer vent.

My advice to you all, get off the computer and remove the hose to the dryer and clean it. Get going.....
I'm sorry I am may be comming off as harsh, but you need to get off your lazy behind and check those vents, It's not for you, but your family.

Then you can come back here and tell me how wrong I was to tell you to do something for yourself.
Or that your dryer had no lint. Are you doing it yet.....

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-25-2009, 07:58 PM  
SublimeMasterJW

Default Check your blower wheel

If you have a maytag/norge/crosley these are notorious for having the blower wheel loose on the shaft.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:48 PM  
mht7159

I had the same problem with my whirlpool dryer after cleaning out the vent and using one of those dryer vent brushes (useless) I opened the blower fan cover and found at least 6-8 inches of compacted lint blocking the fan area after cleaning and putting it all back together it's working like new.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 AM  
Wirenuts

If cleaning the vent out doesn't solve the problem you may have a bad low limit or high limit button thermostat. [/I]

Quick Reply