DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Appliance Discussion (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   Kenmore 400 Dryer Problem (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f11/kenmore-400-dryer-problem-15852/)

sandbuoy 04-14-2013 03:23 PM

Kenmore 400 Dryer Problem
 
Our dryer started blowing the breakers last week. Would run for about 10-15 minutes then blow the breakers. After researching possible causes I pulled the heating element and couldn't find any sign of a break or snag. Thought maybe I had weak breakers so I got two new 30amps and installed them. I also took the lint tray housing and vent hose off and cleaned them. They were pretty clean and I found no blockage of air.

I started the dryer back up and it ran fine about 15 minutes so I figured I would start hauling my tools back out to the garage. Just got outside and my wife started screaming there was smoke in the basement. Boy was there every.

The clothes were so hot you could hardly touch them. Stupid me, I laid the vent on the floor instead of back outside and it blew all that smoke into the basement. Scary thing was the breaker never blew and the dryer was still running.

Today I tore the whole thing apart and checked for burn marks and smoke residue...nothing. The drums ring look fine, no marks from a spinning belt burning and the motor and no sign of over heating on the core or plastic fins. I figured with that much smoke it would be a motor, belt, lint, rollers or something plastic. It had a smell of plastic/rubber.

Any ideas what would have cause the extreme heat? Could the element staying on cause cause it to smoke? We didn't notice any of the clothes singed or burnt.

Fireguy5674 04-14-2013 04:54 PM

Sounds like a high limit sensor or something of that sort. If nothing is telling the element when temperature is reached and breaks the circuit then it will just continue heating. Look at the wiring diagram which should be on the drier and try to find the limit switches and check their function. Some have more than one. Overheating may have caused some hidden lint to burn and caused some plastic or rubber to get really hot and give off the odor you smelled.

sandbuoy 04-14-2013 05:55 PM

thanks fireguy,

I went down and looked at the Thermal Cut Out Fuse abd it seems to be burnt. I pulled the wiring clip right out with the wire on one lead. That clip seems to be a little melted. Will get another one and try that. BTW, how freely should the drum turn? Seems to me to be a little stuff. Should the wheels be lubed once in a while?

jeff1 04-15-2013 07:09 AM

Hi,

As with any dryer repair it is always a good idea to clean out the inside of the dryer and the venting from the dryer all the way outside. Venting should be done once a year and the dryer every 2-5 years depending on use.

Quote:

Kenmore 400
Not a model#!
http://www.applianceaid.com/model-number.php

Quote:

how freely should the drum turn?
Light resistance.

Quote:

Should the wheels be lubed once in a while?
Sure, but no grease as that will attract dust and get gookie.

jeff.

woodchuck 04-15-2013 09:48 AM

When you turn the drum by hand you are also turning the belt and the motor so it won't turn freely.

sandbuoy 04-15-2013 10:49 AM

Thanks all for the information and help. Wife came home today and said she bought a new dryer. She just couldn't see putting money on one she couldn't trust and all that smoke.

inspectorD 04-15-2013 06:49 PM

yup
 
Your better off, but also keep in mind the maintinece for the new one. I write myself a note on my calender 8 months from now to get the airhose and blow everything out. They also say to wash your lint screen with soap and water every 3 months to remove the waxy build-up from dryer sheets if you use them.
And we just had a housefire from a dryer that caused an explosion. The dryer had a belt fire, which caused serious smoke buildup in the lower part of the house, that when the woman homeowner opened her front door the unburned gasses ignited. Removed the picture window, 2 skylights and the garage doors and frames from the house. The house was just taken down last week....all from a dryer.:eek:

Good luck out there folks.Be safe.

oldognewtrick 04-15-2013 06:54 PM

Inspector, was the lady OK?

inspectorD 04-16-2013 07:56 AM

yup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by inspectorD (Post 86066)
Your better off, but also keep in mind the maintinece for the new one. I write myself a note on my calender 8 months from now to get the airhose and blow everything out. They also say to wash your lint screen with soap and water every 3 months to remove the waxy build-up from dryer sheets if you use them.
And we just had a housefire from a dryer that caused an explosion. The dryer had a belt fire, which caused serious smoke buildup in the lower part of the house, that when the woman homeowner opened her front door the unburned gasses ignited. Removed the picture window, 2 skylights and the garage doors and frames from the house. The house was just taken down last week....all from a dryer.:eek:

Good luck out there folks.Be safe.

Well, physically yes, she lost both of her small dogs that ran towards the bedrooms. It was a sad day for all that where there.

So keep your dryers clean, if you have not, do it when you change the clocks forward or back. many may not know this, but dryers are at the top ten firecalls.http://www.smabsolute.com/top-10-lea...f-house-fires/

nealtw 04-16-2013 08:44 AM

Cleaning the vent pipe or having it cleaned is also a must.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 PM.