DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > LG refrigerator sounds like dirt bike

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 07:06 PM  
alaharley

I have the same problem and I want to know how does the back of the freeezer come off? It is full of ice but I do not wish to let it sit for a day for the ice to melt....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 09:16 PM  
Rainsford

There are probably some screws holding the evaporator cover in place. Turn the fridge off and use a hair drier to melt any frost. If you see no screws look for any dime size circles that could be screw covers. If there are none of these the cover may just be snapped off. Anyway after you get the evaporator exposed melt any remaining ice. If there is a big buildup this could take half an hour or more. Be gentle. Do not use any object to try to chip or break the ice! A puncture of the evap could completely destroy the fridge. When its cleared of ice turn the fridge on before replacing the cover. The evaporator coil should frost up evenly within 10-20 min. That usually indicates the refrigeration is ok and the defrost circuit is inop. Then there's the task of diagnosing the failed component. If you get that far we can discuss that procedure. Hope to have been of some help.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:18 AM  
woodchuck

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

You can replace this main control board which controls the defrost. If the heater and defrost thermostat are ok. RepairClinic.com - Appliance parts for 80 brands, shipped same day.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:14 AM  
mcshaggin

Default Thanks

I fixed my freezer, it was full of ice behind the panel. Broke a couple plastic pieces but now the fan won't break on me. Here's what it looked like. I couldn't tell you the model I have but the symptoms posted previously sounded just like mine. Thanks alot people!

cimg1823.jpg  

Old 09-17-2009, 10:28 AM  
leeza09

I too faced the same problem with my refrigerator, tried all means could not stop it. now i am looking for a chance to get it out of my house.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:31 PM  
chrisonline

Default Quick fix with Blowdryer

I have an LG fridge (side-by-side model) that was making the same noise: like something hitting the fan. Instead of letting the fridge defrost, I got a blow dryer and aimed it at the vents in the back for few minutes. That did the trick - no more noise.

Thanks for the insight that it was likely ice build-up around the fan - I would not have thought of the blow dryer otherwise.

Best,
Chris.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 AM  
bigdipper

my LG fridge is doing this when i get home hopefully all my food isnt spoiled. ill try this out.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:23 PM  
johnk624

I didn't want to take the time for it all to thaw back there, so I unplugged it, opened the freezer and the sliding door, and waved a hair dryer around the ice for 10 minutes. Put a towel down on the floor of the unit to soak up all the water. The motor noise has stopped now, thanks to your post. But I am not going to want to do this every 6 months. We really haven't come very far since the days when my Mother would defrost her freezer twice a year now, have we Bethany? Never again will I buy a major appliance from LG. NEVER EVER AGAIN!

Old 07-17-2014, 03:24 PM  
woodchuck

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

It will be more like every week. It doesn't take long for the ice to build back up with the automatic defrost system not working.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:27 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 148 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Had the repair guy in recently. He used a standard clothes steamer to melt the ice in just a couple of minutes.

Quick Reply