DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > Maytag Performa Stove not mantaing baking temp

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 PM  
jeff1
Contractor

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
but at a temp of about 200 degrees the flame went out and never came back on
...and then what?....the ignitor stayed on?
left the door open a while?...what happens after a bit?

Quote:
I dont have an ohmeter
Then you may have to replace a part to test.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 AM  
sweets

"but at a temp of about 200 degrees the flame went out and never came back on

..and then what?....the ignitor stayed on?"

No the ignitor (and flame) went off, but isn't that in response to the temperature sensor probe in this case falsely telling it to go off??

Isn't that how this works? the temp sensor probe tells in effect the ignitor to go on and off and if its (the temp sensor probe) not working properly the ignitor shuts down?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 AM  
jeff1
Contractor

Quote:
No the ignitor (and flame) went off
Crap!

Quote:
but isn't that in response to the temperature sensor probe in this case falsely telling it to go off??
Maybe, without testing we may not know for sure.....the sensor shuts off nothing nor does it turn on anything....temp sensor changes resistance to tell the control what is happening and the control turns things on and off......that is why we ohm the sensor...
http://www.applianceaid.com/oven-temperature-sensors-help.php
...if way off on the ohm reading it may be telling the control the wrong information.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM  
sweets

"Maybe, without testing we may not know for sure.....the sensor shuts off nothing nor does it turn on anything....temp sensor changes resistance to tell the control what is happening and the control turns things on and off......that is why we ohm the sensor...
http://www.applianceaid.com/oven-temperature-sensors-help.php
...if way off on the ohm reading it may be telling the control the wrong information."

Jeff,
Are you saying the ignitor should remain on (bright red) throughout the entire baking time?
Wouldnt the temp sensor probe "sense" the temperature in the oven is rising higher than the set baking temperature and shut the flame and the ignitor down to maintain the set temp?
I kind of hear something shut down, a kind of "clump" sound once the set baking temperature is reached, this only happens if I go from bake to broil and then back to bake again
Sorry for all this detail

Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Besides a schematic you need a Theory of Operation. I doubt that Maytag will help you with this but you might find a schematic inside the oven walls somewhere. It's usually in an envelope, taped to the wiring.

I have a 30 YO furnace and the maker was kind enough to send me a factory service manual, for free.
This photocopy is a few pages, and that thing has saved me mucho dinero. You really need to know the sequence of operations.

Get a meter. It will pay for itself the first time you use it to diagnose or fix anything. An appliance meter is not the same as a meter for house wiring because appliances do not have Phantom Voltages.

There are also
components failing from normal wearout,
components failing early from factory defects (so called infant mortality) and
components failing because they are being overstressed by some fault somewhere in the appliance.

Let's say you guess at what part it is, you replace it, and it doesn't fix the problem.
Do not get on a slippery slope of buying more parts. The money you paid for the part is a sunk cost.

"sunk costs are not taken into account when making rational decisions. In the case of a movie ticket that has already been purchased, the ticket-buyer can choose between the following two end results if he realizes that he doesn't like the movie:

Having paid the price of the ticket and having suffered watching a movie that he does not want to see, or;
Having paid the price of the ticket and having used the time to do something more fun."

In your case, "more fun" means do some thinking, reasoning and measuring.

BTW, check any new part before installing, and after installing if it didn't fix the problem.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 10-04-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 AM  
sweets

Yes i know youre correct and i should get the ohmeter/voltage meter and learn how to use it

Whose the manufacturer of your 30 yr old furnace?
I have a 27 yr old boiler and i'd sure like to get that manual for mine

As to the Maytag Performa stove, i'm just speculating on operation, but it would seem that the temp sensor probe has some effect on whether the ignitor is on or off, please correct me if im wrong, i'm just guessing

Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweets View Post
Yes i know youre correct and i should get the ohmeter/voltage meter and learn how to use it

Whose the manufacturer of your 30 yr old furnace?
I have a 27 yr old boiler and i'd sure like to get that manual for mine

As to the Maytag Performa stove, i'm just speculating on operation, but it would seem that the temp sensor probe has some effect on whether the ignitor is on or off, please correct me if im wrong, i'm just guessing
Bryant.
They probably fired the guy for sending me that manual. Everytime I fix something on my furnace it is money out of the pockets of the HVAC industry.

If my informal HVAC survey from long ago is correct, your boiler has outlived about 95% of boilers as old. You may soon have to make a repair/replace decision.

And Stihl will not even sell a factory manual to a HO, but I fixed my leaf blower anyway.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 PM  
jeff1
Contractor

Quote:
Are you saying the ignitor should remain on (bright red) throughout the entire baking time?
The ignitor stays on when ever the flame is on...ignitor must draw current to keep the gas valve open.

Quote:
Wouldnt the temp sensor probe "sense" the temperature in the oven is rising higher than the set baking temperature and shut the flame and the ignitor down to maintain the set temp?
The sensor shuts off nothing nor does it turn on anything....temp sensor changes resistance to tell the control what is happening and the control turns things on and off.

Temp sensor can ohm ok but the sensor circuit inside the clock/control can be bad. Sometimes a loose wire ( male-female ) connector can cause high resistance in the sensor circuit.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 PM  
sweets

This works every time:
So whenever I see the set baking temperature drops, I switch to the oven setting via the clock, after the broiler flame is lit I wait several minutes, then switch back to bake, set the temperature to wherever I need it, after which time the oven will heat up to that preset temperature, (it lets me know via a beep), and it remains at that temprature for however long I need it too.
Do you still think its the baking igniter that's faulty?

Old 10-05-2012, 09:18 PM  
jeff1
Contractor

An amp meter reading would tell if the ignitor was weak....heating it up with the broil can help...so far it still -sounds- like a weak ignitor.
It's the "it shut off and didn't come back on" that is odd.

http://www.applianceaid.com/gas-range-repair-help.php#glow

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

Quick Reply