DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > Maytag Performa Stove not mantaing baking temp

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:32 AM  
sweets

"An amp meter reading would tell if the ignitor was weak....heating it up with the broil can help...so far it still -sounds- like a weak ignitor.
It's the "it shut off and didn't come back on" that is odd."
Jeff,
I'm not sure you're familiar with this stove, there are 2 ignitors, one for the broiler at the top of the compartment and the baking ignitor below the pan. So when I switch to "broil" the flame and ignitor above go on, and when I go back to "bake" the ignitor and flame below the pan are in use. That said how does switching back and forth between broil and bake tell you its the ignitor that's faulty? Again there are two ignitors.
To my way of thinking it could be something wrong with the control panel on the top of the stove or again the temperature sensor probe. Please dont take this the wrong way, it's difficult for you not having this model in front of you, Maytag Performa Model # PGR5710 BDW
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 07:02 AM  
jeff1
Contractor

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I'm not sure you're familiar with this stove
Very.

Quote:
there are 2 ignitors
Correct.

So far no testing....just posting after posting....no ohm meter testing, no amp meter testing, just guessing....start diagnosing!!

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Old 10-06-2012, 07:12 AM  
sweets

I just wanted to make sure you were familiar with this model and that it has 2ignitors.

Do the ignitors have get ohm meter reading ?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:00 PM  
jeff1
Contractor

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweets View Post
Do the ignitors have get ohm meter reading ?
If dead ( no glow ) the ignitors can be ohmed for continuity.
Ohm/continuity reading doesn't help with a weak ignitor.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 AM  
sweets

"I'm not sure you're familiar with this stove, there are 2 ignitors, one for the broiler at the top of the compartment and the baking ignitor below the pan. So when I switch to "broil" the flame and ignitor above go on, and when I go back to "bake" the ignitor and flame below the pan are in use. That said how does switching back and forth between broil and bake tell you its the ignitor that's faulty? Again there are two ignitors.
To my way of thinking it could be something wrong with the control panel on the top of the stove or again the temperature sensor probe. Please dont take this the wrong way, it's difficult for you not having this model in front of you, Maytag Performa Model # PGR5710 BDW"

UPDATE:
Often enough, when I switch to "Oven Hi or Oven Lo" to try to get the baking flame (below the pan) to reach the preset temperature, the broiler flame (top flame) does not light even though its ignitor is glowing brightly. I have to "Cancel" and try it several times before it ignites the broiler. Once it ignites the broiler flame I can then switch back to bake, where the baking flame reaches its preset temperature and stays there without dropping for however long I need it too. Once I get the broiler flame to ignite and switch back to "bake" this method works every time to keep the baking temp at its preset temperature.
Do you still think it's just the baking ignitor that's faulty or maybe the controls?

Thanks

Last edited by sweets; 10-09-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 AM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 159 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I give up. The problem is not your oven, see below (from Eric Berne's work)

"
Why Don't You/Yes But

The first such game theorized was Why don't you/Yes, but in which one player (White) would pose
a problem as if seeking help,
and the other player(s) (Black) would offer solutions (the "Why don't you?" suggestion).
. . .
White would point out a flaw in every Black player's solution (the "Yes, but" response),
until they all gave up in frustration.
"

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 10-09-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 AM  
sweets

the problem is youre all guessing at the solution and with my money, the only response that made sense was to test the parts with an ohmmeter, it still may be the control panel thats faulty, how much does that cost?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 159 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Hello, again.

IMHO your reply confirms my diagnosis, and you are now using the defense mechanism of projection.
Did you ever hear of the saying, "Know thyself"?

For a while I had to work as a hardware store clerk.
Two short stories:

1: A guy came in with a problem and I offered a solution which was rejected. I immediately offered an even better solution, which was also rejected.
This process was repeated several more times, each time me offering ever more creative solutions. I was never so creative in such a short time, before or since. It was bam, bam, bam.
Finally the customer said, "I'm not paying 49 cents for this fastener/tool/adhesive/widget/gizmo and he walked out.
I think he left in a hurry because his "game" was becoming obvious and Dr. Berne has said that people who play games would rather not have their games made public.
This customer may have called this match a win for him, but I call it as a draw.

I think this is a likely outcome for your thread, and you have already brought up the additional constraint of 'money'.
Anyone can claim this. Did you ever hear of anyone complaining that they had too much money?

2: A woman comes in with a problem and I say that she must drive a nail into a wall. She said, "That's way too complicated." For this I had no answer because I was stunned, but I should have immediately said, "I cannot help you."

It soon became obvious to me that it is in my interest to recognize problem customers early on and cut my losses so I can serve the customers who really want solutions.
Same goes on forums.

I hope this post helps you, and others, but I cannot guarantee that.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 10-09-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM  
sweets

its been helpful in as much as ive learned i have to 'ohm' the ignitors and temperature probe, that being said the rest were guesses, it could still be the control panel and i dont know how much that costs

Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 723 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 1266

sweets; I think you have 3 choices.
1. buy the meter like has been suggested so people can give you better answer.
2. just start changing parts, cheapest ones first.
3. have someone out to look at it
You can save a lot of money doing things your self and people here are willing to help
but sometimes diyers need tools too.

Quick Reply