DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > microwave won't heat up food, smells like burnt plastic, smokes





Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 PM  
amodoko
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 32
Likes Given: 12

Default microwave won't heat up food, smells like burnt plastic, smokes

Got a microwave that won't heat food anymore. On top of that, it smokes and it smells like burnt plastic if I turn it on for more than 20 seconds. What's wrong?



__________________
amodoko is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 AM  
SJNServices
Senior Member
 
SJNServices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 124
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

The way you fix that problem is a two step process. Step one, unplug it. Two, Insert into trash!!!!



__________________

[url=http://www.SteveJNichols.com]My Website - SteveJNichols.com[/url]
[url=http://bent-nail.blogspot.com]My Blog - Sticks & Stones[/url]

SJNServices is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 04:09 AM  
larepair20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Get a repair man in your local area and have him checked on the problem of your microwave. In that way, you will know what has gotten to your microwave.

__________________
larepair20 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 10:01 AM  
National
@NationalApplian Twitter
 
National's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: olivehurst, ca
Posts: 2
Default

Microwaves have very high voltage and can be dangerous to work on on your own. If their is a very strong smell and your oven is no longer heating it might point to the Magnetron. However, have this checked out by a professional just to be safe. Hope this helps.

__________________
National is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 09:21 PM  
Paul79UF
Junior Member
 
Paul79UF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 21
Default

If it's still under warranty, get it replaced.

If not, I'd agree with SJN about throwing it away.

Or an even easier option would be to put it on Craigslist in the "Free" section and say that it needs to be repaired. Some mechanically savvy person might want it.

Good luck with it.



__________________

[URL="http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Articles/Home-Repair-Maintenance-Guides.htm"]My Home Repair Guides[/URL]

Paul79UF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Microwave Removal Chuck38 General Appliance Discussion 4 12-10-2013 09:38 PM
Trane XE 1500 Wiring & Burnt Question parkham HVAC 3 09-11-2010 08:18 AM
Dryer smells newtda General Appliance Discussion 3 01-25-2009 08:08 PM
My bathroom smells bad dhaney Plumbing Forum 4 06-06-2007 06:44 PM