DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > Stove vent pipe - it's not just for good looks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 12:32 PM  
Snav

Default Stove vent pipe - it's not just for good looks!

You know - what is the purpose of the stove vent pipe?

(trick question)

Ok - well - in order for it to fulfill it's purpose it must vent OUT and AWAY, yes? - Yeah varily I say to you, it must!

Mine does not. Maybe they wanted it to - seeing as how they piped it out through the attic - a length does carry through like it should. . .great for passing inspection, yes?

But when I ripped off the siding of the blind-space above the cabinets I found the vent pipe just opened to the ceiling - the opening in the ceiling for it to pass through is sort of "there" but it's not even big enough for a reduced pipe to fit through.

The dang thing was never connected - how long did it go like this? Since they built the house? Probably. . . 30 years it's been venting into the blind-space above the cabinets.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
You know - what is the purpose of the stove vent pipe?

(trick question)

Ok - well - in order for it to fulfill it's purpose it must vent OUT and AWAY, yes? - Yeah varily I say to you, it must!

Mine does not. Maybe they wanted it to - seeing as how they piped it out through the attic - a length does carry through like it should. . .great for passing inspection, yes?

But when I ripped off the siding of the blind-space above the cabinets I found the vent pipe just opened to the ceiling - the opening in the ceiling for it to pass through is sort of "there" but it's not even big enough for a reduced pipe to fit through.

The dang thing was never connected - how long did it go like this? Since they built the house? Probably. . . 30 years it's been venting into the blind-space above the cabinets.
Is there a question in there somewhere? It is suppose to vent out with joints made to let any heavy grease run back into the hood filter and not built up in the duct, or it could be a fire waiting to happen. Paul

Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 PM  
nealtw

Liked 541 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 998

Pual: I think Snav understands the hood vent, he just came to vent himself.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:28 PM  
TxBuilder

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I sense sarcasm in the post title.

That's crazy that it's been venting back there this whole time. When you get it hooked up correctly, you're going to notice a huge temperature difference while cooking.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:09 PM  
Snav

Well - the hood has been cleaned, vented properly and reinstalled - took me all of two hours. Gee, so hard.

Yes - sarcasm . . . annoyance with all the things I've discovered over the years in this house. . . it's never been simple.

Quick Reply