DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > Trane XE90 Furnace Fails to Ignite

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM  
Jefferson

Default Trane XE90 Furnace Fails to Ignite

I have a Trane XE90 natural gas furnace. When heat is called for, the Power Vent Fan starts, the ignitor goes on and turns orange, I hear a click calling for the gas, but the furnace does not light. After the furnace fails to ignite, the unit continues to operate as though it had ignited and blows cold air throughout the house. However, if I gently blow toward the ignitor after it turns orange, the furnace lights up and warm air is forced through the system.

I attempted to troubleshoot the problem by performing the following steps. First, I removed the front metal panels and cleaned the inside of the furnace to remove any dust and other collected particles in the unit. Next, I replaced the air filter with a brand new filter. This failed to solve the issue. Next, I replaced the ignitor, but the unit still failed to ignite without the gentle blowing. I then checked the tubing going to the pressure switch and the entire exhaust line for obstructions. I was unable to find any obstructions in either line. Finally, I reset the entire unit following the instructions listed on the furnace panel. This too failed to solve the issue.

I do not want to run to my basement and blow through the grate in the furnace panel every time my thermostat calls for heat. Can you please help me resolve this issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 04:43 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Not sure where you obtained a new ignitor, Trane parts are highly guarded and universal parts sometimes are not the best.
However, it does sound like you need to clean or replace the flame sensor. If the ignitor ohm'd out over 100 then it was bad otherwise your just guessing and that can get expensive.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 AM  
Jefferson

I replaced the ignitor with an original Trane replacement. I cleaned the flame sensor and still no luck. Any other ideas?

Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 60

replace the flame sensor with OEM. Make sure it is in the path of the flame.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 AM  
Jefferson

I replaced the flame sensor and this did not work. Then I replaced the gas valve and this did not work either. The only part left is the board. I will try that today. This is frustrating.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 149 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
if I gently blow toward the ignitor after it turns orange, the furnace lights up and warm air is forced through the system.
At least one problem sounds like the ignitor is not in the way of the incoming gas. I guess you could use a narrow strip of tin foil hanging vertically to make the path of the gas visible.

The money you have spent is a 'sunk cost'. Try to avoid letting this spent money influence your future decisions about how to proceed with this furnace.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 01-01-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply