DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > Washing Machine Query

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2006, 06:06 PM  
Daryl

Default Washing Machine Query

I have an Amana Washing machine that's driving me a little insane. When it fills the tub, it shuts off the water at the right level desired. If you walk away and forget to put the clothes in and leave the lid up, (it 's a top loader) there is a good chance you can come back later and find it overflowing. Or you find out in the morning when there's no hot water for your shower. This has happened twice in the last year. Lucky for me the thing is located on the sunporch! Have also noticed the thing wants to pour foam out of the drain standpipe on the last part of the final spin cycle. Since the foam is large in volume and light in weight it seems to fill up standpipe and overflow onto the floor. the standpipe is at least 48 inches off the floor. it's almost as if the washer isn't getting enough water during the rinse and spin to break down the suds. Possible water pressure valve? I want to install a flood alert system but won't do much good if I can't keep the suds off the floor!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2006, 06:42 PM  
jeff1
Contractor

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi,

Quote:
Amana Washing machine
Model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

Quote:
When it fills the tub, it shuts off the water at the right level desired. If you walk away and forget to put the clothes in and leave the lid up, (it 's a top loader) there is a good chance you can come back later and find it overflowing
Over flowing doesn't sound like the correct water level!
Soap first then the clothes are put in before the washer should be started for filling.
Some overflowing trouble makers...
http://www.applianceaid.com/washer_overfilling.html

Quote:
Have also noticed the thing wants to pour foam out of the drain standpipe on the last part of the final spin cycle. Since the foam is large in volume and light in weight it seems to fill up standpipe and overflow onto the floor.
Slow house drain, using too much soap or both would be prime suspects.
Some soap retention tests...
http://www.applianceaid.com/whiting.html

Quote:
I want to install a flood alert system
The new Floodstop automatic water shut-off system

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Old 11-14-2006, 08:59 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Daryl:
What counts is, the standpipe must be 2" pipe with a trap and a vent, and the standpipe itself should be 24" tall with the opening being above the flood level rim of the washer.
Glenn

Quick Reply