DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Pest Control > Bats!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 08:57 AM  
Billvila

Default Bats!

I'm having a problem with Bats. I live in Texas and I know they are Mexican free tail. You can't kill them and there difficult if not impossible to live trap. I called the city and they're backed up and won't respond unless it an emergency. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 10:46 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Find out where they are getting in and wait until they leave for the night , then plug up the hole(s). Don't do this if they are nursing young. Pest control should be able to tell you when that is.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:20 PM  
Billvila

They are exterior. They sleep on my Porch in exterior eve hanging. But now that you said that I'm going to have to check my attic. People have told me don't worry they'll leave eventually. But I don't want those little buggers giving my daughter rabies. And it's been over a week and there are no signs of moving on(no tiny suit cases).

Old 09-24-2009, 03:47 PM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billvila View Post
They are exterior. They sleep on my Porch in exterior eve hanging. But now that you said that I'm going to have to check my attic. People have told me don't worry they'll leave eventually. But I don't want those little buggers giving my daughter rabies. And it's been over a week and there are no signs of moving on(no tiny suit cases).
OK, gottcha. I can understand your concern for your daughter, though they usually aren't a problem unless they start making a mess from droppings. Is there a way to close out the area they hang in with some black screen so it is not too obvious?

Old 09-24-2009, 04:26 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 434 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Bill, you might try putting some moth balls in some old panty hose and hanging it in the area where they are roosting. It works on crows and squirrels I know. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:25 AM  
Billvila

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
OK, gottcha. I can understand your concern for your daughter, though they usually aren't a problem unless they start making a mess from droppings. Is there a way to close out the area they hang in with some black screen so it is not too obvious?
Not unless I wrapped it around my ease overhang. But I don't think that would keep them out. Are you thinking that the black curtain would keep them away?

Old 09-26-2009, 09:59 AM  
Billvila

Anybody know any thing about bat behavior. There were more there last night than the past month. Do they attract each other?

Old 09-29-2009, 03:37 PM  
Huh?

They should be getting ready to migrate so give it some time and see what happens. Have you tried shooting at them with a bb gun. It worked for my neighbors cats.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:10 PM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billvila View Post
Anybody know any thing about bat behavior. There were more there last night than the past month. Do they attract each other?

They do hang in colonies, no pun intended. I think for the mesh to be effective, it would need to exclude them from a protected area where they like to perch.

Maybe this would help:

Bat Exclusion Flyer

Old 10-08-2009, 08:57 AM  
Billvila

They're finally gone. It just took time and continual blast from the water hose. I think it made them mad so I wouldn't recommend it to people who have a hard time running away but who knows there bats.

Quick Reply