DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Pest Control (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f112/)
-   -   Cedar Chips (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f112/cedar-chips-15859/)

Austin 04-16-2013 10:36 AM

Cedar Chips
 
Has anyone heard of putting cedar chips in their yard to cut back on fleas? If so, how did your mower handle it?

nealtw 04-16-2013 04:01 PM

It's the oil that is the active ingredient. Sawdust raked into the lawn wouldn't bother the mower but not good if dogs eat it. And cedar does bother some peoples breathing.

Austin 04-18-2013 07:27 AM

I'll try some dust. No one has cedar issues in my family, but we do have bug issues!

oldognewtrick 04-18-2013 07:40 AM

Sure wish you'd find a reliable, economic mosquito control measure that works, cause they'll be out in force here real soon.

nealtw 04-18-2013 11:33 AM

We have lots of shingle mills and people that work in them. I've never herd that it kept fleas away.

Austin 04-23-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldognewtrick (Post 86163)
Sure wish you'd find a reliable, economic mosquito control measure that works, cause they'll be out in force here real soon.

I'm trying. I've used most everything and nothing works aside from DEET heavy products which I try not to use.

I'm going to start a thread that charts products and whether they worked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealtw (Post 86170)
We have lots of shingle mills and people that work in them. I've never herd that it kept fleas away.

Really? Down here it's common knowledge. Perhaps we're wrong?

nealtw 04-23-2013 11:44 AM

It might be common knowledge here too, just not anything I have herd. Perhaps fleas just aren't that big of a problem here.

oldognewtrick 04-23-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealtw
It might be common knowledge here too, just not anything I have herd. Perhaps fleas just aren't that big of a problem here.

Well, just maybe the cedar chips are working then...;)

Austin 04-24-2013 09:02 AM

They may not be. I've been told they don't do well in colder climates.

nealtw 04-24-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 86344)
They may not be. I've been told they don't do well in colder climates.

We do get hot weather too, the fleas just stay dorment in the colder weather.
Your picture of paradise is getting a little tattered around the edges!:eek:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 AM.