DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Pest Control > My Neighbors Rat Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 03:52 PM  
-bud-

Default My Neighbors Rat Problem

I'm new but I'm diving right in. I'm buying my in laws house and all is well except for one thing, There neighbors are hoarders. The rat problem has reached Biblical proportion in that every night I capture and kill at least three. I'm using live traps and then shooting them with a high powered BB gun. (There illegal in the city, but I'm country folk so I don't care). I called the city and they came out and said there was naught they could do about it. I tried talking to the neighbors, but they insisted it wasn't coming from them. The neighbors on the other side are a nice clean Mexican family that tends to their property amazingly well. I mean wonderful brick work immaculate lawn the whole nine yards. I've been trapping and killing for over two months and whenever I go into the backyard you can still see them scurrying the fence line. My trash can has been chewed through by the rats and when I went to the city they said I would have to buy a new one. Aside form burning my neighbors filth infested house to the ground (you can smell there house) what else can I do? I'm at my wits end and if a solution to my problem doesn't come up sometime soon I tempted to back out of my commitment to my inlaws. Any clues? Help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 04:15 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Default sure

Start raisin some pigs...they eat rats and smell even worse.

Other than that you need to contact the area health dept, then a lawyer.
Have them send the town a nice letter, the cleanup will be cheaper than the lawsuit. When you deal with politicians...you need to be one of them, or get a lawyer...they speak the same language.

Just My
Made in the

Old 10-01-2009, 10:27 AM  
-bud-

I'm poor because I just bought a house and like I said I contacted the "City" (health dept, zoning, everyone) and they said no go. I can't keep pigs in the city so I really need useful advise. I ran out of bb's last night and I had to shoot them with a kids bow and arrow set. I feel like this is the beginning of serial killer behavior. I took out the trash two nights ago and had one run up my arm.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 AM  
Huh?

Have you eliminated the food source? Move the trash cans. Bow and arrows are slowly bridging the gap to homicide. Just by kill traps. Why are you using live capture if you plan on killing them? That logic makes you sound like a sadist.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:49 AM  
-bud-

That was the fastest response I've ever seen on an internet forum. I'm afraid if I move the trash they will follow which may bring them closer to the house. I'm not a sadist, my inlaws are the sadist, they're the ones who bought the traps!

Old 10-01-2009, 01:10 PM  
Huh?

Well then, I'm out of ideas, you may be right but I would still give it a try.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:24 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That's horrible. I hate to say it but did you call a pest control service? This appears to be out of control.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:00 PM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

yeah, buy some re-usable kill traps and some rat poison too. The re-usable traps will be the cheapest way to go the poison will be less aggravation.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 10-03-2009, 08:47 AM  
-bud-

I asked them about the traps and poison and they said that's the reason they have the live traps. They have dogs. The same dose of poison that kills a rat can kill an 8lbs rat terrior. I really need help. I can hear them at night scurrying and it's driving me nuts. I hate my neighbors.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:21 AM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

bud - you can put poison and traps on your property, if their dogs come on your property they might be a casualty of war, friendly fire, but that's the price to pay for your families health and safety in my opinion. I like dogs but I hate rats. There are poison setups that are small and keep larger animals out but let in the rats or you could just put the poison someplace a rat can get to but the dogs cant.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Quick Reply