DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Pest Control > My Neighbors Rat Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 02:20 PM  
funetical

Geez bud that's bad. Where do you live?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 03:48 PM  
Cork-Guy
Cork Flooring Pros

I would consider 2 options to try and combat the problem and lower the population at best. First, many gardeners use fox urine to keep rabbits and other animals away from their gardens, this also works for rats. They will avoid the smell of fox urine at all costs since it's a predator. Now, the bad part is for the first few days it will smell like urine, but spray it along your property line and housing line. Second, start putting out bait to kill the rats, some decon pellets wrapped in cookie dough will do the trick, especially if you see them so often. The cookie dough will slow down the rats metabolism and allow the poison to sit in the system longer and have mother rats milk-feed the babies the poison before dying off. Best of luck.

[B][URL="http://www.corkflooringpros.com"]Cork Flooring[/URL][/B] - [B][URL="http://www.ventless-fireplace.org"]Ventless Fireplace[/URL][/B]

Old 10-06-2009, 06:38 PM  
superjedi

Your local Dept. of HHS wouldn't do anything?
Call a local TV station.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 AM  
funetical

That's a good Idea. Call everyone make a nuisance of yourself to get something accomplished.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM  
-bud-

The dogs are my in-laws. I tried poison and one of my dogs ate one of the dead rats and I thought I was going to have to put her down. I talked to the city about a zoning violation. They in order to hide there hoarding are adding a non approved Structure to the main building using a Blue Tarp as a roof. I think I can report them this time. I decided to leave the trash can as it is and if it causes trash to fall all over the city street maybe that will give them inspiration top fix it. Or fine me. This guy has also set up some sort of sun glass hut on the side of his house and I know where zoned residential one family habitations.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:30 AM  
randr

top loading pvc pipe T-shaped traps work great. Make them yourself with 1-1/2'' or 2'' pvc pipe. Our neighbor's rats are dying to get in them. To protect pets, be sure to secure the bait block so it can't be pushed out.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 AM  
randr

Rat Terrier???? That's what they do. If it's not doing the job, get one that does.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 AM  
-bud-

The rats have a channel in the fence that they run into to avoid the dogs. My rat terrier is small but not enough to fit in the tight squeeze. I'm thinking about maybe getting a few cats, but I dislike them. The city said that they had received calls about my neighbors "addition" and that until it became a permanent part of the structure they were limited in what they could accomplish. They did however tell me I needed to put my boat in storage or off the street because it's an eye sore. What kind of crazy backwards world do I live in where I can't keep a boat visible to the public but this s.o.b can build things out of tarps? Things don't make no sense no more.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:23 PM  
randr

Bud - that channel in the fence is the perfect place to put a top loading T-trap discussed above. And the boat - how about a blue tarp boathouse to complement the neighbor's addition?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:38 PM  
-bud-

I actually thought that you know fight fire with fire, but it looks awful and I don't think degrading my property is the solution. I saw those plans. When I get off tonight I'm going looking for the supplies. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and put the boat in storage. It's coming on winter any how and I'm not going to use it. I just hate having somebody tell me what I can or cannot do on my own property.

Quick Reply