DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Pest Control (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f112/)
-   -   Silverfish (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f112/silverfish-13728/)

StainlessRailingGirl 04-04-2012 01:58 PM

Silverfish
 
Hey All,

My new place has these little bug things that are called silverfish...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish if you don't know what they are. As far as being a tangible pest-they don't bite humans, eat wood, hurt the cat, etc....so really they are any pest ridden persons least nightmare.

But they are gross! And everywhere. I've been reading that they like moisture. I live in the northwest so this doesn't surprise me. Anyone ever encounter them or know what to do with them?

nealtw 04-04-2012 09:14 PM

http://www.extermine.com/silverfish.html

You also want to address the moisture in the home, they like a lot of moisture which can also feed mold. Look at leaks in the plumbing or water around windows or evan not enough venting in the house.

joecaption 04-05-2012 09:05 AM

Boric acid is what a pro exterminator would use.
Just look for a product called Roach Away. Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart any hardware store should have it in the insectiside area.

Boric Acid is used in hundreds of products. It's used as a fire retardend, treating rotted wood, mold and fungus treatments, ant bait ect.
It kills bug by dehydrating them not poisoning them.

StainlessRailingGirl 04-09-2012 01:33 PM

Moisture is a big problem because I live in the rainiest state!


How is Boric acid for pets though? I have a cat.... Thanks all!

nealtw 04-09-2012 03:37 PM

I understand about the rainforest causing moisture. Evan with that you have to much moisture in the house.

billhead1 04-09-2012 08:44 PM

I have them in my attic, but not in large quantities. They appear to be feeding on my cellulose insulation. I plan to apply a microcrystalline pesticide that sticks to their bodies when they contact it. It is available from a local pesticide supplier and works on common household pests. Check with your local pesticide supplier.

joecaption 04-10-2012 08:29 AM

It's less toxic then table salt. Safe around pets (except fish).
http://www.ehow.com/about_5341416_uses-boric-acid.html

It's cheap.
It's even an ingedeant in some eye washes.

To the poster that has them in the attic a simple puffer and some boron would save you a lot of money and would do the exact same thing.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 AM.