DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > Refrigerators > kelvinator refrigerator, freezer working, lower section not

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 PM  
psalm3401

Default kelvinator refrigerator, freezer working, lower section not

I have a 1990's era Kelvinator refrigerator. In the last few days the bottom has stopped cooling. It is currently at about 50 degrees. The top (freezer) is still at 5 degrees. The fan is running and blowing a draft in the freezer section. There is no air coming out into the bottom section like there should be. What do you think the most likely culprit is? Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 03:00 PM  
woodchuck

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

The fridge gets its cold air from the freezer through a vent(damper) between the freezer and fridge.The fan in the freezer blows air through it. Make sure this fan is running. You may have to hold the door switch in for it to run. There is a flap you adjust with the fridge temp. control. Make sure it's opening and closing when you adjust the fridge temp.
The problem could be the electronic control if you have one or the mechanical linkages.*

Old 04-24-2011, 02:23 PM  
psalm3401

Thanks woodchuck. I turned the temp control to "coldest" and the problem seems to have resolved itself. The temp went to around 30 degrees overnight. I turned the control back to mid-range an the temp is now 40 degrees. I am suspecting your diagnosis is correct. I will check the damper. I assume I can see that by looking up into the duct from the bottom in the fridge compartment. Thank you very much!

Quick Reply