DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > Refrigerators > Old GE refrigerator not working.. Any ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 AM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I doubt that busia's unit is frost free or self defrosting.

busia, has that thing been converted to modern refrigerant? It originally used Methyl Formate, which is explosive and can cause, among other things;
eye, nose, skin irritation; chest tightness, cough, labored breathing, shortness of breath, bronchitis; visual disturbance; headache, dizziness, unconsciousness; drying and cracking of the skin.

Aside from cleaning the coils, checking electrical connections and temperature control, if it has one, you need to get in a pro who can safely deal with and replace MF if needed.

Since it wants to run all the time, it could be temperature control thinks box is not cold enough or is stuck, so stick thermometer inside. In this situation faulty control would make box way too cold.

Dirty coils, worn compressor, or low gas would prevent unit from cooling, thermometer would read too low.

Gas is still available, equipment to handle it and person who has it may be difficult to find, replacement parts also rare. There are people who collect these things, antique shops may know of repair person.

One of these images came from Flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/27309380@N06/5012521936/ poster has lots of old reefers and ice boxes, probably a good source for info. I dunno if you can contact him without Flickr account, if not PM me and I could possibly act as intermediary.

images.jpeg   imm5623347446_dbc9513a3f_m.jpg  

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply