DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > Refrigerators > Samsung Fridge Not cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM  
yuchai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozer View Post
Yuchai,

They tried replacing the Motherboard as well as the Fan, neither worked, we ended up having an extended warranty with Lowes and used that to get a new fridge.

Sorry I cant help any more than that.

Chris
Actually that's really helpful, as your experience could save us a lot of money and agony with repairs that won't work. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 PM  
nealtw

Liked 541 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 998

Without any knowledge of refridgerates, I was just thinking. The thermicouple measures temps at all times and resets when the plug was pulled, you know it is working. When you push the button, the lite comes on and gives the last known reading. That button must also have a function to reset the thermicouple for a new reading or where those wires go. That's where I would be looking.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 AM  
yuchai

I seem to have resolved the problem. The culprits are the defrost (bi-metal) thermostat and the defrost temp sensor. It seems that the problem is that because these components were faulty that the fridge enters defrost mode but never comes out of it. Once power is pulled, the system resets and begins the refrigeration cycle again. However, once the scheduled defrost cycle begins (in 4 hours for my model), it is stuck there and there is no more cooling.

I replaced both items for both fridge and freezer last night, and this morning was the first time that my fridge was still cooling after about 9 hours. I am hopeful that it will still be running when I get home from work today.

Just for documentation, I have a Samsung RB1855SL. The items that I used are Bi-Metal (DA47-10160H) and defrost temp sensor (DA32-00006W)

Replaced both for fridge & freezer compartments (4 items total). Both are fairly easy to get to once the evaporator covers are open. I would suggest anyone encountering this problem to give this solution a try as the components don't cost that much.

Edit: Just to add - the temperature sensors that allow for detection of actual temp in the fridge/freezer are actually fine. The system shows the set temps rather than actual temps when in the defrost cycle, even if the actual temps are significantly higher (this is confirmed in the service manual for my model).

Last edited by yuchai; 03-13-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 AM  
nealtw

Liked 541 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 998

Thanks for the update.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:18 PM  
Techidon441

I have a Samsung RS253-BABB, side by side. Twin evaporators; fridge side had frozen coils. It turns out that the defrost heater is built onto the evaporator coil as a unit. Did an ohms test on the heater coil & got NO continuity. Another poster elsewhere bought the evap./heater assy. & swapped out the heater coil from new to old evap.to avoid breaking the freon system. I can see it would take some effort, but much less than the alternative. They Do Not sell the defrost coil separately, hence the buy & swap method.

Quick Reply