DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Refrigerators (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f113/)
-   -   vintage general electric fridge (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f113/vintage-general-electric-fridge-15130/)

maura 11-21-2012 09:44 AM

vintage general electric fridge
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hello!

I purchased a vintage (mid 50's) fridge, tested it prior to putting it in the kitchen, and it worked great. But, all I really tested was the small freezer compartment, and water froze, so I figured I was good. However, after installing it in the kitchen, I'm finding that the refrigerator compartment is freezing everything! I can't find a separate regulator, other than the one on the face of the freezer compartment, that mght regulate the temp in the fridge compartment. Any ideas?

See photos

-Maura

Attachment 4554

Attachment 4555

nealtw 11-21-2012 10:12 AM

That is all the control you have, you have to balance it so the freezer is just cold enough to do it's job but not so cold for the rest of the unit.

Wuzzat? 11-21-2012 02:02 PM

Yes, there may be a little slide door somewhere. You want 0F to 10F in the freezer and about 38F in the rest.

maura 11-21-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealtw
That is all the control you have, you have to balance it so the freezer is just cold enough to do it's job but not so cold for the rest of the unit.

Any idea how to troubleshoot or adjust it, if the temp doesn't adjust by turning the knob.

maura 11-21-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuzzat?
Yes, there may be a little slide door somewhere. You want 0F to 10F in the freezer and about 38F in the rest.

Any idea where that door might be?

woodchuck 11-21-2012 08:04 PM

When you adjust the freezer temp control leave it for 8 hours to give it a chance to adjust.

nealtw 11-21-2012 08:48 PM

Turn it off and let it warm up. Turn it on just enough that it starts when it shuts off check the temp. A little at a time until you have freezer temp close to twenty and check temp on center shelf close to forty.
http://kitchen.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/ge_appliances/12_3.html?idRes=267362

maura 11-21-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealtw
Turn it off and let it warm up. Turn it on just enough that it starts when it shuts off check the temp. A little at a time until you have freezer temp close to twenty and check temp on center shelf close to forty.
http://kitchen.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/ge_appliances/12_3.html?idRes=267362

Thanks, a million! I will try that, this weekend, before my husband can lug it out to the curb!

maura 11-21-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodchuck
When you adjust the freezer temp control leave it for 8 hours to give it a chance to adjust.

Thanks, so much, for everyones help! I'll try these this weekend,before my husband tosses it for the junkman

Wuzzat? 11-22-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 80336)
Any idea where that door might be?

On modern fridges it's in the wall between the freezer and main fridge compartment.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 AM.