DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Cleaning > Help! What is this growing in my crawl space?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 10:07 PM  
SnellExperts

Looks like a pretty serious mold issue. Nealtw hit the nail on the head advising you to dry the area out. I would also recommend calling in a mold inspection so that you can get a protocol on the extent of the mold, and what should be corrected to make sure the mold doesn't come back. Are you or your family experiencing any symptoms of mold exposure? Notice any odor that smells like mildew?

[URL=http://www.snellexperts.com]Mold Inspection[/URL]
[URL=http://www.executiverestoration.com]Mold Inspection Charlotte NC[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 07:00 AM  
papakevin

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Snellexperts, had a local guy put a drain pipe around the inside of the crawl space and install a sump pump to keep the water out. There are drainage issues in the back of the property, which are going to be tough to fix, so went with the sump pump and vapor barrier.

I did spread around some borax in the space prior to him showing up and attempted to bag an remove what I saw. Haven't been down there in a couple day, but going there today with some boric acid mixed with water. If you have a suggestion for a parts per mix, please pass it along. Also very open to any additional suggestions on killing this stuff and making the house safe.

The house is a vacant house that I've been trying to fix up to sell for quite a while. No one is living there now. Found out I bit off more than I can chew, that's for certain. As I mentioned in my first post, I was under the house two weeks prior to the pictures you see and there was nothing growing down there. I had removed part o the old vapor barrier, but didn't put the new section back down which left part of the ground exposed for a couple weeks. Scary how fast whatever it is grew when a little water was added.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 AM  
papakevin

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Forgot to add, thanks again!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

By just adding the vaper barrier and not taking the time to correct the problums causing it or at least raising the inside grade it may that all you did was add a pool liner.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:24 AM  
SnellExperts

Haven't used that stuff in a while. We switched over to a "green" product thats completely safe cuz it's made from plant extract. Let me check when I get in the office tomorrow and I will get back to you if you still need that info.

[URL=http://www.snellexperts.com]Mold Inspection[/URL]
[URL=http://www.executiverestoration.com]Mold Inspection Charlotte NC[/URL]

Old 12-10-2011, 10:01 AM  
papakevin

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

SnellExperts, would appreciate any information you can provide. I have already removed what I could and treated with borax and boric acid (two different times), but thinking I probably missed some. I did put down a vapor barrier and had a guy dig out a sump pump with a drain channel around the entire inside of the crawl space, so hopefully I'm on my way to solving the problem.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:52 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

With a drain inside the crawl space, this house will always have a moisture issue, you may want to look at a venting system like the one I have posted here.

Eliminator Crawlpsace Vent Fan System - Comdensation / Moisture Control

Old 12-10-2011, 11:27 PM  
CrawlSpaceMoisture

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Neal,
What's Comdensation?

How's the drain going to cause them to have moisture problems?

Old 12-11-2011, 04:58 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

Most times the water is kept out of the crawl space with outside drainage. With this system inside there is a steady supply of water in the crawl space. In warmer weather you will have evaporation. when the weather changes to cool or cold that moisture will condence on cold water pipes, framing members that a exposed to the cold outside like the sill sitting on the foundation. A good supply of air is a cheap way to keep the crawl space and the house healthy.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:22 PM  
ilikeblue

It looks like mold to me, especially since your talking about all the rain involved. I've seen black mold before, and it isn't pretty!

Quick Reply