DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Cleaning > Need help restoring granite counter tops

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 06:06 PM  
Bengals1848

Default Need help restoring granite counter tops

Hello all,

We recently purchased a home with granite counter tops that aren't in the best shape. We have very hard water and I think it's damaged the counter tops. I don't think the previous home owner kept up with sealing the counter tops. Is there a way to restore the counter tops to their original condition? They are dull in a couple of spots and have some spotting.

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bengals1848:

If you Google "polishing granite", you'll find all kinds of articles and tools for doing that.

However, I think your best bet would be to take some pictures of your countertops down to any of the companies in your area that make headstones. Most headstones are made from grey, red or black granite, and the companies that are in this business will also have plenty of experience repairing and polishing damaged granite.

If you don't get any other responses in here, the companies listed under "Memorials" in your yellow
pages would be the people I'd first turn to for advice because they won't be in the business of polishing granite counter tops, and therefore won't be more interested in selling you their services than giving you advice on how to do it yourself.

You might also want to give these Canadian guys a call since they have a toll free 1-800 phone number that hopefully works in the USA:

Bomats - Grinding & Polishing Equipment

Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM  
granite-girl

I'm sure there are granite fabricators in your area. Call one or two of them if they can't or won't do anything, maybe they can give you some advice or the name of someone who can. I don't think just re-sealing will do it.
Here's a site that might help. from the Marble Institute of America Marble Institute of America Consumer Information - Natural Stone Stain Removal

Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM  
granite-girl

I just googled "natural stone restorer Houston Tx and several came up. Good Luck ! I know this is a DIY site- maybe it's something you can do yourself- I just don't know.

Last edited by granite-girl; 07-09-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 AM  
oldognewtrick

Liked 275 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite-girl View Post
I just googled "natural stone restorer Houston Tx and several came up. Good Luck ! I know this is a DIY site- maybe it's something you can do yourself- I just don't know.
Sometimes, somethings are better left to the professionals.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 PM  
granite-girl

Hey Bengals - WHat happened with your granite countertop ? Did you get it's luster back ? Check out our new cleaner.

[URL="http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/"]http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/[/URL]

[URL="http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/"]http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/[/URL]

Quick Reply