DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > Computers and Electronics > how can i speed up my computer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 PM  
superversion970

Default how can i speed up my computer?

at my home, when i try to start my computer , i takes a long time to show startup menu . and it works very slowly. how can i speed up my computer. please help.

viny flooring
[URL="http://www.vinylflooringfaq.com/"]http://www.vinylflooringfaq.com/[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 01:54 PM  
jgibson1976

Here's just a quick and dirty list of things you can do.

1. Disk Defragment
Defrag your computer regularly to speed up access to data. I have mine set to automatically defrag weekly. Start menu ---> Programs ---> Accessories ---> System Tools ---> Disk Defragmentor

In addition to Disk Defragmentor, there is a nifty free hard disk cleaner called CCleaner that I use at least weekly as well. This is similar to the Disk Defragmentor but also includes a nifty registry cleaner.
CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

2. Disk Cleanup and removing unused programs.
The disk cleanup tool will help you free up space on your hard disk. It will help removes stuff like temporary internet files and delete files in your recycle bin. Additionally, under More Options, you can remove windows components that you don't use and remove installed programs that you don't need or use. You can also remove programs through the Add/Remove programs utility within the control panel.
Start menu ---> Programs ---> Accessories ---> System Tools ---> Disk Cleanup
Start menu ---> Control Panel ----> Add/Remove Programs

3. Adjust Visual Effects
The normal windows default settings are nice but they can take up some valuable resources such as system memory that you may be short in. You can try adjusting these settings to see if that helps.
Right click on My Computer (or to to Start and right click there in case you do not have that icon) and select properties. Go to the Advanced Tab and under Performance select Settings. Select Adjust for Best Performance.

4. Remove Unneeded Startup Programs
There's also quite a few services and windows services that I usually shut down to help speed up my home computer. That is a little bit more advanced but I've used Black Vipers Website since I had Windows XP. You can find it here.
Black Vipers Website
If you scroll halfway down the page he has a section called Popular Content which lists the windows services by your Windows version.

5. Scan and Remove Viruses, Spyware, and Adware.
There's lots of tools out there that are free to assist in this. I personally use Adaware for my Antivirus and Spybot Search and Destroy for Malware and Spyware. Another highly recommended freeware antivirus is AVG. Another new kid on the block for spyware is Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download
AdAware: Ad-Aware Free - Download Internet Security Software with Antivirus & Spyware Removal - Lavasoft
AVG: AVG - Antivirus and Internet Security | Virus Protection
Spybot The home of Spybot-S&D!

Another issue may be hardware. Can you list your system specs and operating system?

If you don't know how to do this and you have a windows operating system, you can right click on My Computer (or to to Start and right click there in case you do not have that icon) and select properties. Under the General Tab, just write out the information under System and Computer.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:39 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not sure if this is a legitimate question or just a way to get a link to his site.

If it's a serious question, the above are all good suggestions. One other thing you can do is download this little program that allows you to delay the start up of programs until after your computer is up and running, allowing you to start working sooner.

Startup Delayer download and reviews from SnapFiles

Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You don't need a program to change your start up. Assuming you have Vista or 7- Go to start and type "msconfig" in the search bar. Click on start up and click 'disable all'. You can also set your computer to restart within XX amount of seconds.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

I use the startup delay to start several of my background programs that I don't need right away; like Texter, Snagit, Team Viewer, Smart Defrag etc. The computer comes up faster and while your working, the background programs start up one at a time as I'm working on something else.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:00 AM  
jgibson1976

You are correct Txbuilder. You don't need a program to do that as you can go through msconfig but the programs are nifty for displaying all the services easily and most of them have good recommendations. You guys should check out Black Vipers website that I posted above. He runs through each program and has four different configuations from default to safe to recommended to bare bones. He also gives a really good description of each start up program.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:13 AM  
theheadlander

As a first time poster i would say that the best way could be to look at the memory in your computer as well as defraging and checking what is running in the start up mode. It is very easy to buy upgrades for most computers although you will have to check you power supply to ensure that you have enough power to run the computer with the new memory in it.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 PM  
Garenius

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Easiest way would be to upgrade the RAM and remove any unnecessary programs from start-up.

<a href="http://www.extensionfactory.com.au">Home Extensions || House Extensions Melbourne</a>

Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Everyone is saying remove programs from start up. What if you want them to start up? Clearing them out with MSConfig would certainly undo that for most programs.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:25 PM  
evstarr

Let's wait for the op to tell us what his configuration is. Might be that nothing will speed it up. Might have never been fast enough.

To the OP. Give us more info. Tell us what you have. Tell us when it got bad. Then we can stop guessing and help you.

Quick Reply