DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Already asked 50 times today I am sure

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 04:26 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Extreme caution and great care

I suppose you could use a stapler and fasten lightweight plastic sheeting to your walls but then you'd have tiny holes everywhere a staple had been. Then, there's the possibility of a run getting behind the plastic... It would probably be easier to just clean up as you go. Go slowly with the paint roller to avoid "spin-off" but move quickly enough to minimize drips. A wet cloth can be a painter's best friend.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 06:43 PM  
wolfenstien

I opened that jug of joint compound... guess it was sitting in my garage too long, the water had separated out of the paste.... I could not get it to mix so i went to wally world and bought some more and while I was there I bought a roll of delicate painters tape and some .7 mil 12x9 sheets of plastic... I guess what I will do is tape the plastic as high up the wall as I possibly can to prevent any of the ceiling paint from getting onto the walls....
Can I use white primer (oil based) for a ceiling paint and not go back over it with an actual paint? I have a full un opened gallon of kilz primer I bought for the walls, but the walls only took one gallon so I have an extra, and dont really want to spend more on paint.... I figure I have almost 300 invested in this room not including my labor.... Or should I just go buy a cheap gallon of white latex and paint it without the primer....?

Old 03-20-2008, 10:53 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Usually, ceiling paint is very reasonably priced.
Primer will look ok, but it may actually not cover as well as regular paint. Primer seals and provides a good bonding surface but it's not the same as regular paint. You should be able to get a gallon of ceiling paint for 10-15 bucks
Good luck with the tape. Be careful when you take it off. Pulling straight out on tape can tear the paint right off of the wall. Double it back over itself and pull steadily right against the wall.
For the best results, Prime and then paint. The new Drywall compound will absorb paint at a fast rate. The primer will seal it all and help hide the different surface textures.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 AM  
wolfenstien

Cool, thanks Square Eye.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 AM  
wolfenstien

Ok, new question on the same project....

Ok, that cracked seem I described before.... Well, I dug out the old mud and put in the grid tape and mudded over it all with joint compound, and then decided to go over the walls where there were nail holes and then I decided to do the center transition border on the wall paper.... the transition border that goes around the center of the wall where two different wall papers meet.... I then went to home depot and picked up a sander thing with a pack of first sanding screen and last sanding screen.... I hit it all with the first (rough) screen and then the last (fine) screen.... all this sanding kicked up a heck of alot of dust... I looked like I walked out of a flour factory after it exploded....
Now.... how do I go about getting the walls prepped for paint again? Do I just wipe everything down with a dry cloth? A wet cloth? a damp cloth? I dont know how safe it is to go over the bare joint compound with a wet rag.... so...

Also.... when i went to Home Depot, I found a neat tool that would have been great to have when I started to scrape the popcorn off... check it out here:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&pr oductId=100132389&navFlow=3&keyword=041072061001&l angId=-1&searchRedirect=041072061001&storeId=10051&endeca DataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.Ende caDataBean%402650dd46&ddkey=Search

It was 19.00 and all the clean up is done right in a bag.... I bought it but havent used it yet.... I will let you know what I think of it once I do use it.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default have air?

Just blow some air around walls and ceiling. Or if you don't have air just sweep with a broom. A little dust won't hurt. Then get ya some pba wallboard primer and prime everything with a good coat. Now your ready for paint. Good luck....

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Quick Reply