DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Asbestos linoleum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 01:21 PM  
psych1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz

BTW, linoleum or sheet vinyl was never installed with black adhesive.

Jaz

I've got about 200 square feet of old linoleum I just tore up which suggests you are wrong. BTW after spending several hours scraping the black stuff up, I spilled some water on it and found it to be water soluble and therefore easily wiped off. I should note that I was very careful in the removal to minimize the risk of asbestos exposure.

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2006, 08:37 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hi Tx:
I vote for the solution by Jaz. If the vinyl is glued directly to the concrete there is a stripping machine that works wonders taking it up. Check with the rental tool store.
Glenn

Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 PM  
asbestos
Good with caulk

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I spent a few years working in asbestos abatement. Get the stuff tested so you know. The thing with the sheet flooring is when you try and pull it up half of the 'paper' stays down and half goes. the 'paper' is the asbestos part so as you pull it apart, you release mass amounts of fibers (it is not dust, but fibers you can not see) unlike asbestos tile, where the asbestos is bound into the matrix, sheet goods are friable. if it is stuck to concrete you can only hope they only glued the edges. on wood floors we almost always just pulled up the subfloor and everything. a test costs less then $50 money well spent. Many states will allow HO to do abatement. find out. But this is a type of project that is quite high risk. A professional abatement company may not be as expensive as you think.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:28 PM  
Jaz
Ceramic Tile Pro

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Physc1,,

I don't know what kind of adhesive you found under that sheet vinyl you removed but I'm very sure it's NOT cutback adhesive. First of all, the black glue is not water soluable. Cutback is the tar-based adhesive that was used under asphalt and vinyl asbestos tiles. It's still used today. Never under sheet flooring, unless by mistake or someone removed the old tiles and decided that since the black stuff was still tacky........?

If the adhesive you removed was water based, most likely it was what was know as linoleun paste. It was dark brown and unlike cut-back would actual dry and become brittle. Or if you're sure it was black, maybe it was paste that had mildewed because it wicked moisture from your concrete?

Removing well bonded sheet goods from concrete is never much fun. If you have the proper tools it's usually doable by some homeowners. The idea is to never dry scrape backings that might contain asbestos. You are instructed to keep to floor wet then put everything in double plastic bag, tag with a warning note, and then dispose properly. Find out from your town what all that means.

As for this abatement business, many people in our business think it's blown way out of proportion. But many companies are making good money doing it and with all the lawyers around and "a little junk science" (EDIT: Jaz expressed an opinion.) thrown in, they have most homeowners scared. Today most flooring companies won't remove old floors such as this, they can't afford to.

Jaz

Tile 4 You LLC
Troy, Michigan
www.tile4you.com

I've NEVER made a mistake....I thought I did once....but I was WRONG!

Last edited by Square Eye; 08-04-2006 at 12:10 PM.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:28 AM  
asbestos
Good with caulk

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz
Physc1,,

As for this abatement business, many people in our business think it's blown way out of proportion.
>>Your business is flooring. I would not hire an epidemiologist to set tile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz
But many companies are making good money doing it and with all the lawyers around and a little junk science thrown in, they have most homeowners scared. Today most flooring companies won't remove old floors such as this, they can't afford to.

Jaz
>>"junk science?" sounds nice but what do you mean?

Last edited by Square Eye; 08-04-2006 at 12:13 PM.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:56 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Asbestos abatement has been the fuel for a lot of nonsense lawsuits and price gouging in the past. States have mandated regulations and the free capatalist market has made it a little easier to afford and to find a competitive market. Junk Science? There are many pollutants out there now, but asbestos is one of the worst. It has been conclusively linked to cancer. Whether it's in brake dust or housing products, it's not a product that I want my kids exposed to.

If you decide to do your own asbestos abatement, research first. Consider the risk, research your local codes and find out where your local asbestos disposal facility is located. Don't dump it on the neighbor's farm, you'll put him at risk for an EPA nightmare. Whether you think the asbestos risk is real or not, the government has determined that there is sufficient risk to regulate it.

Do your homework before you jump in and find yourself in trouble, or worse, wondering if you have shortened the days you will see on this Earth.

Take care,
Tom in KY

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Closed Thread

Quick Reply