DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Base molding or wood floors first, which one is right?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM  
drewdin

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default Base molding or wood floors first, which one is right?

Hi Guys,

I have a carpenter and a flooring guy, The carpenter said he puts the base molding in first and then they install the wood floors.

The flooring guy said that the wood goes in first and then the base moldings cover the edges.

My question is which one is right? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 848 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1463

Ask the carpenter how he gets the last peice in and pushes the tongue and groove together, every time he does that, the flooring guy adds a corner round to the molding. It's common to put molding in first when installing carpet.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 AM  
Fireguy5674

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If I am doing the floor and the base is not already in place I would put the floor down first. That way I can put the floor close enough to the wall that I eliminate the need for quarter round in addition to the base molding. It also depends on the flooring. If I am puting down full 3/4" hardwood I don't want to hide that much of my base. If it is a floating type floor that that is fairly thin then that is not much of an issue. If your base is 7/16" thick then sometimes it is not enough to cover the gap between the floor and the wall and you need a quarter round to make every thing cover correctly. Lots of variables. Hope that helps.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:36 AM  
drewdin

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 79

i would prefer not to have half round, i can see the argument for both guys as each case makes it easier for them. But for me, the home owner, i want it looking great, not whats easier for the guys.

I will have the base molding in first and then have the flooring from what i have read.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply