DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Baseboard question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 PM  
jeiowa01

Default Baseboard question

I may have to replace about 10 feet of baseboards that my dogs chewed the corners of. Could I epoxy and paint the corners? Or am I just screwed and have to pony up the cash for some one to replace them? They chew marks are deep enough that I cant sand, so I am curious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You COULD use epoxy provided you used an epoxy meant for repairing wood so that it would cure soft enough to sand relatively easily.

If it were me, I'd probably recommend you use a product called "water putty" that you should be able to find in most hardware stores. Water putty comes as a powder that you mix with water to make a paste that can be spread onto wood to fill holes or gouges. In fact, it's commonly used as a wood filler in manufactured plywood. When they cut a knot out of one of the exterior plies, they fill it with water putty and sand smooth. So, if you want to see what water putty looks like, go look at some G1S (Good on One Side) fir plywood.

Water putty doesn't shrink as much as other wood fillers as it dries, dries to about the same hardness as a softwood, sands easily and is paintable when dry. And, you can keep what you don't use for many years. It stores very well if kept dry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply