DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Beam project complete??

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 12:02 PM  
harleysilo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2007, 12:27 PM  
cibula11

For everyone else, this is what I am talking about. Am I correct in saying that this would NOT be the way to go and that I need a "line" extending the post to the basement floor??

beampostdiagram.jpg  

Old 02-15-2007, 12:28 PM  
cibula11

Sorry Harley...I put your image in my post to give everyone else a little view of what I was thinking. Thanks for making my job easier

Old 02-15-2007, 12:59 PM  
cibula11

Since the post lands right on top of a joist....could I get away with adding the wall and not worrying about the smaller beam. This would give support to the joist so that it would not sag.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:00 PM  
cibula11

Since the post lands right on top of a joist....could I get away with adding the wall and not worrying about the smaller beam. This would give support to the joist so that it would not sag.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM  
harleysilo

If you sistered the current joist a couple times you would in fact have a beam....

Sistering a joist is when you stick another joist beside the current one and glue and screw it into place. When one builds a beam, say out of 2X10's typically a layer of plywood is placed in between the two 2x10's, all glued and screwed together.

You could sister the joist in the manner one would build a beam....meaning current joist, glue and nail piece of plywood to it, stick another joist up there glue and nail that to the plywood, you have in effect built a beam.

Now whether or not that beam will be strong enough is a question I can't answer, since I don't know what (wieght) your post upstairs is holding, but that post has a limit, and if the beam i.e. sistered joist and new wall can support the amount of weight that your post is rated for you should be good.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:22 PM  
cibula11

The beam total weighs close to 200lbs but it also helps support the attic. I will search for an answer.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:49 PM  
cibula11

Okay. My biggest problem...and sorry if I already mentioned this, but it is that the place that I need to support the floor joist is near a floor drain where the concrete slopes. I had thought that I could lay a pt 6x6 on the floor and put an adjustable post on top of the 6x6 and and attach to the floor joist. Is this an option?

To be safe I have decided to go ahead with Glenn's suggestion to make sure there is support directly under the beam. Ideas with the sloping floor. Or would a slight slope in a 6x6 post be okay to rest an adjustable pole on?

Old 02-16-2007, 05:43 AM  
harleysilo

You could kill several birds with one stone by busting up the area around the drain, diggin down, pouring a footer that is level on top, and then moving the drain......

Old 02-16-2007, 06:55 AM  
cibula11

I think that would end up killing me by doing all of that.

Quick Reply