DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Bending stair tread overlay for installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 09:25 AM  
bozekk

Default Bending stair tread overlay for installation

I am installing new stair tread overlays. I have found the retrotread and another tread overlay that does not have the moulding that the retrotread has. Both are 5/8 inch thick. Problem is my stair case. Stringers have a cap molding that extends into the stair case by 1/2 inch. Builder nailed and glued and removing the cap is proving to damage the riser.

I have cut some prototype treads out of 1/2 inch OSB. Obviously this flexes but helped me understand where to bend tread. Looks like I need to cut kerfs in the center up to about 80% of the tread depth. Don't want to ruin integrity of tread but trying to figure if anyone has done something like this can can share anything?

Thanks,
Keith

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 09:52 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

Do the new treads have wrap over molding on the front?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply