DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > best way to rip out floor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 02:46 PM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax
Default best way to rip out floor

What is the best way to rip out a floor.... I went into the half bathroom today... took out the cabinet, commode, replaced the nipples and shut off valves, poked the floor around the flange to see how rotten everything was... and boy was it.... now... I can see a partial joist coming toward the flange (middle of it) so i know I can cut on either side of it... but... I wasnt sure about the best way to go about the rest of the room... now mind you.. it is only a 5X5 room... what is the best way to get the wood as close to the walls as possible... I have run out of time for this today for the most part... I took out a bedroom window that was broken and need to go finish that... but .. I also need to finish taking out the bathroom floor and replacing it tomorrow..... I have a big secret project going on starting next thursday and I work everyday till then (except tomorrow) so, any help with this would be appreciated..............................

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 05:24 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default It's OK

You have a skill saw I hope....just kidding.
You need to cut the floor with the saw set for the thickness of the floor. Use an old blade because you may hit some nails.
Find the joists underneath and mark the centers on the floor.
Then when you cut this line and remove the decayed piece, there will be room to attach the new plywood to half the joist.
If you need to support it more, install some blocks where you need them.
You'll be fine, we will be around.

Just My
Made in the

Old 04-18-2008, 12:12 PM  
shan2themax

ok so, while I was ripping out the floor.... small areas at a time because my stupid circular saw is acting up... my mother goes into the full bathroom, flushes........ and well... now I am waiting on a plumber..... I guess I knocked something loose while ripping up the floor (probably while trying to remove the flange in the half bath I am working on) didnt see anything but clear water come out but... nonetheless... I am not getting under the house and playing in water (potty water at that).... so... this is one time... where I am willing to pay someone else to do something that I could no doubtedly do almost free......

When I find my battery charger for my camera, I will post pictures.... In the meantime... I layed carpet in the dining room this morning and am working on tucking it under so that I can either put up new base moulding or using what I took off... havent decided yet

Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 PM  
handyguys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

Yes - Please post pictures. Glad to help out if I can. I'm pretty handy but somethings aren't worth doing DIY when they involve crawling in sewage!

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 04-18-2008, 02:06 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Shan:
While the bath floor is out you could stand on the ground and make the repair from above. It is porbably just your closet bend (which is attached to the closet flange) the other end goes into the main line or stack.
Glenn

Old 04-18-2008, 03:43 PM  
shan2themax

ok... well the plumbers just left and all they had to do was reattach a pipe that went from the full bath commode to the septic tank... They asked if I had had the drain snaked previously because they felt that was the cause and my vibrating the floor just gave it enough motion to fall off.... it was pretty wet under there and the commode had only been flushed once... So.... it cost $100 but I didnt have to get under there and thrash around in muck... and they cut off the flange in the half bath for me also... so... once I get the floor out all of the way... I can now finish the bathroom and move on!!!!!!

ps.... I must say... I really enjoyed paying someone else to do the dirty work.......

Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 PM  
shan2themax

Here are the long ago promised pictures of the half bathroom... I bought a new circular saw and it works much better (I am however, still afraid of the thing)... so.... this is what it looks like currently.... I hope to be working on it on days off soon, since I am not taking classes over the summer..... I am having trouble cutting the floor up.. mostly because I am trying to cut off the top layer to see what the bottom layer looks like in order to know if I need to take both off..... there is black paper between the layers... what is it called and... do I need to absolutely used plywood or can I use OSB?

dscf0761.jpg   dscf0760.jpg  

Old 06-18-2008, 05:43 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default Great

Looks damaged for sure.
Go with plywood. And the paper is tar paper for roofs.
Keep diggin and try to stay halfway on the joists so the plywood has something to re-attach to later.

Be safe.

Just My
Made in the

Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM  
PaulMin

On the picture bottom left I see the seams of the plywood sub floor. Why not just take it up to the seam. It would be easier than cutting out little pieces. Definitely use plywood to replace OSB and water are enemies. Also they are not the same thickness plywood / OSB.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 PM  
shan2themax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMin View Post
On the picture bottom left I see the seams of the plywood sub floor. Why not just take it up to the seam. It would be easier than cutting out little pieces. Definitely use plywood to replace OSB and water are enemies. Also they are not the same thickness plywood / OSB.
Those are actually cuts I have made with the saw that I am afraid of..... I work the next few days so I wont be working on it.. but I have been prying it up little by little.... I just have to get up the nerve to use the saw.... weird thing about the saw... it doesnt bother me outside on a saw horse..... but for whatever reason this bothers me.... (im a wuss... lol)

Quick Reply