DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Can carpet be installed with this flooring gap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 05:42 PM  
shawn

Default Can carpet be installed with this flooring gap?

When we purchased our home, we asked the builder to build an extra room for us in the attic. He had already installed 1/2" OSB in part of this space to be used for storage. From the looks of it, he laid 2x4s on top of the 1/2" OSB, then installed the 3/4" sub floor.

The walls were not built on top of the subfloor but rather around the edge of the subfloor. The 3/4" subfloor is flush with the top of the bottom plate of the walls. Around most of the room, the subfloor sits right up to the bottom plate, without a gap.

However, at the door, there is a gap between the wall and the subfloor. Across the width of the door, the gap ranges in width from 1/2" to 7/8". Attached are a couple of pictures.

What I'd like to know is, will the carpet installer be able to install with this big of a gap? Or do I need to cut out part of the subfloor and install a new piece of 3/4" that closes the gap? Or is there a better solution?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 102 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Default sure

Cut it back to make the carpet have something stable to sit on, otherwise it may cause issues down the road if it gets punctured or loosens up.
Good luck.

Just My
Made in the

Old 10-06-2010, 06:31 PM  
fuzzman

Do you plan on wrapping the stairnose with carpet?

Fuzzman

Quick Reply