DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Can this floor be salvaged?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 02:22 PM  
woodgirl

Default Fyi

I e-mailed my friend at Paintsource.net and here's what he had to say...Just another opinion:

"That is an interesting circumstance, and a solid answer. Oxallic acid is sold as “Wood Brightener” where deck or log home stains are sold. Most paint stores carry an oxalic acid brightener. I agree with the posts, that is a lot of tedious work, and gain is questionable to try and remove. The look could be “simulated” or enhanced as well,. I know craftsmen who will put thinned black paint or stain to get that effect, even on some old restorations. If it is a stain or pigment, and not tannin, then the acids will likely be ineffective.

I think the challenge is how different every project is. There are so many articles you could write with your experience. My main expertise is with the finishes themselves. My main thing to get across is that Waterlox is such a superior choice for character wood like that. You have to sand both oil and water-based polyurethanes for recoat, they look like plastic, and they show scratches tremendously (dogs and kids). Waterlox is the easiest to maintain and rejuvenate when needed, looks good longer, and requires no sanding for future recoat.

I will be happy to help any of your clients evaluate finish options. Please link to any information on our site:

Finishing Guides

My writing is not so polished, but here is our blog:

PaintSource Blog

Waterlox Blog

Please tell Steve “hey” from us.

All the best.

Doug Wilson

PaintSource.net

[URL="http://www.historicflooring.com"]Historic Flooring[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 AM  
IndyRyan

Thanks woodgirl. I think I have come down on the side of leaving the black spots alone. If nothing else, it will save me time that I can spend in other areas of the house.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 AM  
woodgirl

good idea...you should check out the waterlox...we use it all the time and recommend it to all of our customers. If you decide to go with it, I may be able to get you a discount. Please post photos as you go along

Old 09-17-2010, 08:21 AM  
IndyRyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgirl View Post
good idea...you should check out the waterlox...we use it all the time and recommend it to all of our customers. If you decide to go with it, I may be able to get you a discount. Please post photos as you go along
I love it.

Is there stain mixed with the Waterlox used in the Finishing Guide videos?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:17 AM  
woodgirl

Not sure...I know it has tung oil in it which I absolutely love. I know for sure you can mix stain with it because my boss does it all the time. You should give Doug a call. He is an expert at wood finishing 1-866-278-9831...super nice guy too!

Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 PM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

I don't remember that Waterlox is rated for floors. make sure you confirm before using that.

Also, those floors could be restored if you wanted. They would be sanded. The nails would be set when the heads begin to shine (shiners). Those floors were all face nailed. They are in my parents house. Those spots may be rust. Yes, oxolic acid would be used after sanding to lighten around the nails. Dark stains to try and blend the surrounding wood would be pretty drastic in my opinion.

Good luck

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 09-20-2010, 03:17 AM  
FLGarageDoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfan View Post
JObviously if there are holes or deep cracks you would have to fix those.
What's a good product to use for filling in deep cracks on wooden flooring? My parents' house has floors like the one in the pic and there are kinda big gouges in some parts.

[URL="http://precisiongaragedoorsfl.com"]Florida Garage Doors[/URL]

Old 09-21-2010, 02:37 PM  
mabloodhound
Restoration & Renovations

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default keep and stain

I would do as most have suggested and keep the nail stains. Even a light sanding so a darker stain can be applied and set any nails that might be proud. With the final finish and dark stain I think you'll be surprised at how good it looks. And you'll have a lot more time to do other stuff.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:47 PM  
GeneralTJWillys

The stain removal subject seems to have been thoroughly covered already, but I must say, that I agree with, most others here.

Those stains give that floor a beautiful, rustic look, and IMHO, should be left there.
I'd LOVE to have that floor in my house. A light sanding and good sealer and I'd be happy as a clam!

Whatever you or the homeowners decide......I wish you the best on the project!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:25 PM  
floridayankee

I sanded a hardwood floor many years ago and it was great because the old floor was very bad and even though the power tools I rented occasionally misfired (left burn marks, and gouges) it seemed worthwhile in the end.
I didn't think of this at the time, but wouldn't it be possible to hammar the nails in a little deeper with a nailset ? presumably it goes through the hardwood and hits the joists which aren't hardwood, right ? I remember that in a couple of cases the nail was high enough to rip my sandpaper...maybe this was avoidable...
I remember reading that you can only sand a hardwood floor so many times. The power sanders are so powerful that they might take off a lot - and then you'd have nothing left ??? How do you figure out how much wood you've got left ?
Good luck with the new house !

Quick Reply