DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Costs and Waste in Vinyl FLoor Bid through Home Depot

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 11:28 AM  
neefg

Default Costs and Waste in Vinyl FLoor Bid through Home Depot

Went to Home Depot to order vinyl floor to be installed by their subs over old vinyl. Company called Compu-Measure came out to measure the floor. Got the bid which came in way over my estimate. They said they need 39 sq yards to do my kitchen, laundry closet and 1/2 bath. However, the actual area is 227 sq ft (25 sq yards). This is an excess of 57% on the vinyl. Worse, they want to charge me $0.89/sq ft to install on the entire 39 sq. yards of material they claim to need, and not the actual square footage being installed. When I questioned them they stated it is always done this way.

Does that amount of extra vinyl seem reasonable and am I wrong to feel cheated at being asked to pay for installing the waste material?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 12:50 PM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There's no way we can see why there going to need all that material, or if your measurements were correct, it's standard to figure on about 10% waste not what they have, and no they should not be charging you for labor on sq. ft. of materails there not even installing.
All they do is hire subs to do there work, it's always better to go to a real flooring company and have there real employees do the work.
I've never heard anything good about anything they have gone through Lowes or Home Depot to get installed and always end up paying more or get shoddy work.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:23 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 732 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Your best bet is to find the flooring guy first and let him measure the job.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:29 PM  
samfloor
Carpet Installer

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Installers are normally paid installation for every square foot that they touch. It does sound like way too much material, unless the product has a 3 foot pattern match. That will produce a lot of waste. The more seams, the more material.

[url]http://www.flooringforum.com/forum/[/url]

(AKA Floorist, Rusty Baker)

Quick Reply