DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Finishing the garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2006, 02:08 PM  
magno

Default Finishing the garage

My dad and I are finishing the inside of his garage with future plans to install a window AC unit and make it bearable in the Houston summer. So far we have put in insulation, pegboard in some places and most of the drywall. We still need to put in a trapdoor that will lead to the storage area in the attic, and, more immediately, float and tape the drywall.

I have never undertaken a project like this, and I am not quite sure about this next step. Could I get basic rudown of how to float and tape, and any potential hazards I should look out for? For example, what do I do where the drywall meets the pegboard? And what about the ceiling?

Thanks in advance.

- magno

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 03:57 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Mango and Welcome to the Forum:
I recommend using the fiberglass tape on the sheetrock joints. You just stick it on and trowel the compound over it. It may be a little rough the first time but a spray bottle of water will soften it enough to gently scrape the ridges off. Trowel it once again, using more finess this time. A light sanding should finish it up. As for the peg board, I would use a piece of wood trim such as casing on that joint because you can't keep it from cracking with the joint compound. The ceiling is just another corner with the walls; handle it the same way. There is a neat trowel made for corners; I highly recommend it.
Glenn

Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 PM  
magno

OK I did most of the initial taping today. Unfortunatly my dad had already got the non adhesive tape. Man, that ceiling was a PITA. Tomorrow I will touch up on what I did today and start on the rest.

I'll let you know how it goes.

- magno

Quick Reply