DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Floor Height after tile

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 PM  
rdharbis1

Default Floor Height after tile

I am removing two layers of linoleum in my kitchen and dining room for the purpose of putting in a tile floor. My home was built very well in the mid-60's on 16 in centers with 1 x 6 planks laid on the joists at at a 45 degree angle and what appears to be at least 3/4 inch plywood on top of that. I want to put down backerboard and tile this floor but the floor height after applying these layers seems to me would be too high. I will have to cut the french door and the pantry doors and there are three doors out of this area onto hardwood floors and each of those thresholds will have a significant rise. I can make comment on what I want to do, but what I want to know is what are you supposed to do. Is the height of the floor irrelevant in renovations like this?
BTW: The linoleum in the kitchen area and the transition to the hardwood areas is level at the moment.
Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 PM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

How high will you think you'll be?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:36 AM  
rdharbis1

I guess with the thinset, backerboard, thinset, tile = ~1 inch? I guess it is not that bad, I just don't recall seeing it like this in other homes (I look at new homes for ideas and design patterns)

Old 02-15-2012, 09:40 AM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdharbis1
I guess with the thinset, backerboard, thinset, tile = ~1 inch? I guess it is not that bad, I just don't recall seeing it like this in other homes (I look at new homes for ideas and design patterns)
You have planks under ur 3/4" ply right? that will be we're your to high I could be wrong cuz I don't know how thick ur planking is. U plan on putting a saddle under the entry door?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 AM  
rdharbis1

The planking sub-floor is older lumber and are 1 x 6 running at a 45 degree angle with the floor joists. I can see this construction from the basement. I renovated my bathroom last summer and completely gutted the entire room, all the way to those planks. The original construction had put the tile in a mortar bed supported with mesh wire on just the planks. There was a layer of roofing felt between the planking and mortar bed. I took all of that out (down to the planking) and put in 3/4 inch plywood on top of the planking and then backerboard and then tile and there is about an inch rise as you enter the bathroom. I put a marble threshold under the door and the bathroom tile is about 1/4 inch higher than that.
Back to the kitchen, I would like to remove the flooring down to the planks, make adjustments that need to be made there for support and lay a thinner, rigid underlayment of some type. I don't know what that would be. On top of that underlayment, I would begin the tile installation starting with the backerboard.
Sorry, I am not familiar with the term 'saddle'. I do not want to remove the exterior door unless absolutely necessary. What to do about the threshold has everything to do with what is done with the floor/subfloor.
And thanks for the replies and considerations ... I am not a pro at this, just a DIY guy. I am not against getting the pros if this is bigger than I realize.

Last edited by rdharbis1; 02-15-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: make it more readable

Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 790 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1353

You don't need backer board just tile over the plywood. If you are going after the height you will want to remove the 3/4 plywood and replace it with your backer board but then the ship lap may be to flexible and you would change that to plywood. I would think you have a good floor just the way it is, just tile it.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 PM  
rdharbis1

Thank you nealtw, that's kind of what I was hoping to hear!
I have been given many suggestions, the best of which is just to tile right over the linoleum. Heck, I could start tonight if that is an appropriate plan of action.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:37 PM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw
You don't need backer board just tile over the plywood. If you are going after the height you will want to remove the 3/4 plywood and replace it with your backer board but then the ship lap may be to flexible and you would change that to plywood. I would think you have a good floor just the way it is, just tile it.
I was not about to say tile over ply as I would be hunted on this site but yes there u go some one else said it for me lol

Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 790 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1353

Remove the lino and check for squeaks as that old floor was just nailed down, I would screw thru to the joist and add shorter screws to tighten up the 1x6.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 PM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdharbis1
Thank you nealtw, that's kind of what I was hoping to hear!
I have been given many suggestions, the best of which is just to tile right over the linoleum. Heck, I could start tonight if that is an appropriate plan of action.
That would save so much trouble but morter will never work on the linoleum.

Is the linoleum glued down or floating?
If glued scrap off the paper the best you can and sweep up floor really good before you start your morter tile.

Last edited by isola96; 02-15-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply