DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Flooring (
-   -   Floor Truss Problems (

chriswv 07-10-2011 07:45 AM

Floor Truss Problems
Hello. My name is Chris and I am not only new to this site, I am new to contractor level home repair.
I am capable of performing significant repairs but I have lived long enough and made enough mistakes to know when I need help.
That being said, here is my problem.

I live in a split level home. I moved here 5 years ago. The foundation is a concrete slab my primary living area is upstairs (of course).
About a 2 years ago I noticed my bifold closet doors coming off the hinges.
Last year I noticed my floor upstairs was creaking a lot and when my kid would walk by my chair, the floor would bounce.
Now upon further inspection, I see where the upstairs walls/baseboards are separatinig from the floor in places. Up to 1/2 inch or more in the winter.
Additionally, the worst evidence of this is in areas of the house where there are no load bearing walls downstairs. (Garage and open recreational room)
Each measuring 14x24 feet. +/-
Initially I thought that I would put in a steel I beam in the garage (6 Inch) spanning the width of the garage.
And I would install a new wall in the recreational room. Making 2 rooms.
Both using steel twist up jacks to bear the weight.
However, now I am noticing some additional sag in my upstairs floor farther from center. It's in a place where I cannot put a load bearing wall downstairs.

I read that truss uplift and sag is common but at the same time I am very nervous about doing something wrong or wasting money I do not have.

It bounces, my upstairs floor is uneven, my walls are separating and my bifold doors are coming loose.

My ceiling downstairs is finished so I assume that it is going to have to be removed.
I really need some guidance.
I don't know what to do.

Thank you ,

oldognewtrick 07-10-2011 08:06 AM

Chris, I'd suggest calling a structural engineer to come take a look at the problem. He will write a report and create a "road map" of repairs to be made. Then if you are comfortable with his suggestions, you could possibly do the repairs yourself and save contractor fees. Sitting from my computer chair I really can't tell what your options are. Calling a P.E. will be monies well spent, not wasted.

Oh, welcome to House Repair Talk!

kattey 08-12-2011 02:52 AM

I agree you may call an engineer and ask any suggestion about your problem.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 AM.