DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Flooring options - basement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 PM  
brasilmom

Default Flooring options - basement

Greetings,

We have a full finished basement that got wet from a pipe and consequently got all the carpet nice and wet. We removed all of it and now are contemplating our options. I dislike carpet as it is, so I would much prefer something else. A friend of mine installed DuraCeramic recently. I like the looks and feel of it, but am afraid that it is way too expensive for my budget. So, anyone her can give options that work well on basement considering is an area that water may be an issue?
Thanks. Be well
Miriam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 04:11 PM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasilmom
Greetings,

We have a full finished basement that got wet from a pipe and consequently got all the carpet nice and wet. We removed all of it and now are contemplating our options. I dislike carpet as it is, so I would much prefer something else. A friend of mine installed DuraCeramic recently. I like the looks and feel of it, but am afraid that it is way too expensive for my budget. So, anyone her can give options that work well on basement considering is an area that water may be an issue?
Thanks. Be well
Miriam
You can check into the allure traficmaster vinyl planks. Or if your concrete floor is flat and none cracks then tile on the floor, you don't have to go for the real pricey ceramic.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:49 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1374

Interesting reading material:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/update-trafficm-30819

Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 PM  
TerryDM

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

What about vinyl tiles? The peel and stick kind? Possibly more in your price range (although you don't mention what this range is) and water won't absolutely destroy them.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:23 AM  
brasilmom

A person from a flooring store came to give em a quote as I need to have an idea of cost as the insurance is covering the damage. He brought a sample of a floor called Adura, which has a wood looks, is laminate and is a click system. I like the idea of the click install, but am afraid to find the price for that. The basement is not very used, but it was nicely finished. Anyone here can say anything, good or bad, about the Adura flooring? He said they have a tile looks as well. He also told me that there is no need for a vapor barrier or anything else to be put underneath this type of flooring. Since I know nothing about it, I figure I would ask here if that is so. I have not gone to the store yet, but plan on doing so. I am also going to look into buying and installing it ourselves.
Thanks. Be well
Miriam

Old 07-23-2012, 05:37 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 422 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Miriam, you might find this interesting.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5480341_allure-flooring-instructions.html

Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Interesting

Hi Miriam, I would not install anything which is cellulosed based (wood based products) in a basement environment. Those vinyl planks are filled with a substrate that is most likely MDF, or particleboard. Anything that contains it will move in the harsh conditions of a basement.
Here are a few other links you may find interesting.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/trafficmaster-allure-underlayment-9613/

Go with tile, or a good floor paint and it will not matter if you get another flood.

Just My
Made in the

Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1374

http://www.dealersnorth.com/Adura%20LocNGo%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf
If you read the instructions carefully, you will find that it will be your fault if it dosn't work on concrete.
I would check out fiberglass based vinyl.
http://www.armstrong.com/pdbupimages/194597.pdf

Old 07-25-2012, 07:25 PM  
brasilmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Hi Miriam, I would not install anything wich is cellulosed based (wood based products) in a basement environment. Those vinyl planks are filled with a substrate that is most likely MDF, or particleboard. Anything that contains it will move in the harsh conditions of a basement.
Here are a few other links you may find interesting.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/trafficmaster-allure-underlayment-9613/

Go with tile, or a good floor paint and it will not matter if you get another flood.
Thanks InspectorD for the info and link. Can you tell me anything about the DuraCeramic flooring? The sample I saw was not a duraceramic, but a similar product called Adura made by Mannington. I will check to see if I can locate the product specification. The store person says it does not have any cellulose, but he did not seem very sure about it.
Thanks for the education. I truly appreciate it. Be well
Miriam

Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 PM  
brasilmom

We are moving along with our repair, however a bit slower as there were other stuff at hand. We want to apply some antibacterial or anti mold stuff but I am not sure which one is ideal and how to go about. It is a rather large area, so we also need a better way to apply. Spray bottles is just not very efficient. Ideas?
Thanks. Be well
Miriam

Quick Reply